About the College
Green River College welcomes our diverse local and global communities and is committed to meeting students where they are by providing inclusive, equitable access to innovative and comprehensive educational programs, and individualized support that empowers and prepares students to achieve their personal, educational, and career goals.
Green River College serves students in Academic Transfer, Professional-Technical, Applied Bachelor's degrees, Transitional Studies, and English Language Learning at four campuses: Auburn, Kent, Enumclaw, and Auburn Center.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We commit to be an anti-racist institution where all students, faculty, and staff receive the access, resources, and services needed to achieve their educational, career, and personal goals. Green River College makes social and economic justice, equity, and inclusion our highest priorities.
The Green River College definition of equity encompasses all identities, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, economic status, gender identity, sexual identity, disability, religion, spirituality, immigration status, age, and culture. We understand individual needs vary widely, and the effects of discrimination and historical oppression must be considered while aiming for equitable opportunities and outcomes for all.
Green River College welcomes highly qualified faculty with experience teaching the English language to immigrants and refugees. We are looking for a collaborative team member with a commitment to equity. This is a full-time tenure-track position. It starts September 2024 and continues with annual nine-month contracts. This assignment is in the Transitional Studies and Wellness Division.
- Teach any of the ELL classes, pre-literate through level 6 for 15 credits. The assignment is in-person. Assignments may be at the main Auburn campus, Kent campus, or community sites.
- Advise students, serve on campus-wide committees, attend division and department meetings, and perform other duties as outlined in the negotiated faculty agreement.
- Guide students through their pathway from low-level ELL classes to high-level ELL classes and from high level to Transitional Studies/I-BEST/college courses.
- Collaborate with other ELL and TS faculty in curriculum and program development.
- Participate in governance within the department, the division, and the college.
- Complete administrative duties such as reporting attendance, administering CASAS assessments, collecting WABERS information, assisting students with registration, and appraising new students.
- Experience in teaching ELL to immigrants and refugees
- Working with adults from diverse, under-represented and marginalized communities, such as Immigrant/Refugee/Undocumented, Low Income, People with Disabilities, and those identifying as LGBTQIA
- Creating an equitable and inclusive environment for both students and colleagues
- Teaching and developing contextualized, inclusive and culturally responsive curriculum
Master's Degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages OR
Master's Degree with a credential in TESOL or CELTA
This is a full-time tenure track position beginning Fall 2024, continuing with annual nine-month contracts. The salary will be determined according to the candidate's educational background, teaching experience and applicable work experience. GRC is an agency shop.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
- A cover letter which specifically describes how you meet each of the qualifications
- Answer the supplemental questions
This position has been designated as a bargaining unit position represented by The Green River United Faculty Coalition.
Should you have any difficulties uploading the below documents, please contact Neogov tech support at 1-855-524-5627 Mon-Fri 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. pacific time.
All offers of employment are subject to background checks. (Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.)
At this time, Green River College does not offer H1B Visa.
Green River College is a tobacco free campus. For more information on the tobacco policy, please visit the following link: https://www.greenriver.edu/campus/policies-and-procedures/general-administrative-policies/ga-2-tobacco-use-policy/
Jeanne Clery Statement: Notice of Availability of Annual Security and Fire Safety Report- Green River College's Annual Safety and Fire Report is available online at www.greenriver.edu/CleryASFR, containing mandated information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, required statistics, and other related information for the past three calendar years. To obtain a paper copy of the report, please call 253-288-3350.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Green River College does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, gender orientation, age, marital status, religion, disability, genetic information or on any other unlawful basis. The college is committed to preventing and stopping discrimination, including harassment of any kind and any associated retaliatory behavior.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Executive Director of Human Resources, 12401 SE 320th Street, Auburn, WA 98092-3622, 253-288-3315. To receive this information in an alternate format, please contact Disability Support Services at (253) 833-9111, ext. 2631; TTY (253) 288-3359.
More than Just a Paycheck!
Washington State offers one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation. We understand that your life revolves around more than just your career and that your priority is making sure that you and your family will maintain health and financial security. That's why choice is a key component of our benefits package. We have a selection of health and retirement plans, three paid personal days, sick days and professional leave. Other fringe benefits include a tuition waiver program, in-service training, faculty development program, faculty excellence awards, and on-campus fitness center.
Medical, dental, life and long term disability insurance benefits are provided as currently administered under the Public Employees Benefits Board.
How have your past experiences prepared you to contribute to Green River's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion?
This position will focus on teaching immigrant and refugee populations. How will you shape your curriculum and class practices to serve these populations?
Agency Green River College
Address 12401 SE 320th Street
Auburn, Washington, 98092