ESL Teacher K-12
Lyons USD 405 • www.usd405.com
K-12 ESL Teacher
- Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to serve as an ESL resource instructor to improve students` achievement in reading, writing and mathematics, implementing district approved remedial reading, writing and mathematics curricula and programs.
- Develops and administers assessment techniques and methods to ascertain the particular needs of individual students identified as in need of remedial reading, writing and mathematics instruction.
- Develops remedial reading, writing and mathematics strategies, and lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in letter and word recognition, sentence and paragraph structure, vocabulary, proper word usage, writing, and mathematics.
- Conducts remedial learning activities, incorporating technology and a variety of instructional methods and materials.
- Creates evaluation instruments and procedures to monitor the student progress and the effectiveness of instruction.
- Documents teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; develops lesson plans; models the necessary skills to perform assignments; and provides feedback to administration and teaching staff regarding student progress, expectations, and goals and objectives.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, regarding reading, writing and mathematics assessments and remedial teaching techniques; assists, coaches and models effective remedial instructional strategies for classroom teachers.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the methods of remediation in reading writing and mathematics
- Encourages parental involvement in students` education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
- Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of English grammar, word usage, word denotations and connotations, spelling, writing, and mathematics.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
Kansas State Certification as a Teacher
- Motor Vehicle Operator`s License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Lyons USD 405