JOIN A TEAM THAT BELIEVES STUDENTS WILL MEET THE HIGHEST ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT EXPECTATIONS
EPIC Academy is a dynamic educational institution dedicated to fostering academic excellence and empowering students to reach their full potential. Located in the vibrant city of Chicago, we are committed to providing an innovative and inclusive learning environment that prepares students for success in a rapidly evolving world.
EPIC Academy proudly serves one of the most resilient student demographics in Chicago, with 96% of students qualifying for free/reduced lunch, 25% having Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), and 15% being English Language Learners. On average, our 9th graders enter with academic skills at the 4th-grade level. Despite the prevailing expectation in the area that high school graduation is the ultimate goal, we view these so-called "obstacles" as opportunities to build upon our students' strengths.
At EPIC Academy, we have three overarching goals for every student:
- Be Prepared for College: We are committed to preparing our students for college and equipping them with the skills and knowledge they need to thrive in a higher education setting.
- Develop College-Bound Beliefs and Behaviors: We instill in our students the belief that college is within their reach, and we help them develop the behaviors and mindset required to achieve this goal.
- Graduate from College: Our ultimate aim is to see our students not only enter college but also graduate, setting them on a path to lifelong success.
To achieve these goals, we inspire our students to envision their future, provide transformative experiences that broaden their horizons, and cultivate the academic skills necessary to reach their aspirations.Responsibilities
- Execute a skills first curriculum (CRS). Content is secondary and flexible based on what will best engage students to master skills.
- Teach 5 sections of ESL 1-3 in a block schedule structure (80 minute classes).
- Identify and screen students in need of initial language screening.
- Test students for ACCESS testing January-February.
- Provide 2-4 professional development sessions to teachers on effective teaching practices for English language learners.
- Attend and participate in professional development, freshmen retreat, parent conferences, and other key school functions.
- Display professionalism at all times as a role model for the students and guardian of school mission and culture.
- Deliver reports and paperwork critical to tracking student performance and school compliance with high levels of organization.
- Display a high level of attendance as every second of instruction counts.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Type 9 Illinois Teaching Certificate and NCLB Highly Qualified status in Secondary English required
- ESL Endorsement required
- Transitional Bilingual Endorsement in Spanish preferred
EPIC Academy is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. To Apply:
Submit your resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org