Soka University of America is offering a part-time English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor position. Contract dates are from May 16, 2024 – July 30, 2024.
The SUA English Language Programs offer intermediate to advanced level ESL programs of various length and intensity. Classes are usually scheduled between the hours of 8:30am and 3:00pm. For regular work weeks, the faculty member filling this position must minimally be present on campus 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., four days a week, with one home-office day per week; however, home-office days are not guaranteed.
Candidates should demonstrate responsiveness toward and understanding of diverse student backgrounds, especially with regard to socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, culture, ability/disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and have a willingness to facilitate the university’s mission to develop global citizens.
Essential duties include but are not limited to:
- Classroom instruction (as many as 20 hours per regular work week)
- Hosting office hours
- Keeping daily student records related to attendance & grades
- Promotion and realization of the university mission and program objectives
- Participation in curriculum development and assessment related to teaching and curriculum effectiveness and student progress
- Planning educational field trips and activities, escorting students on field trips
- Planning and facilitation of program orientations and other activities
- Participating in and contributing to ELP faculty enhancement activities
- Other work-related duties, assignments and projects, as assigned by the Director of the English Language Programs
- Occasional weekend and evening work may also be necessary
- MA in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or a closely related field with a TESL Certificate
- Although applicants with 2-3 years or more of ESL teaching experience are preferred, applicants who have recently completed an MA in TESOL are also encouraged to apply.
- The ideal candidate will have high level of English proficiency and the equivalent of 2-3 years or more of full-time teaching experience related to ESL/EFL. Preference will be given to candidates with experience teaching English overseas and expertise in the following area(s): Composition, Grammar, Reading/Literature, Academic Speaking and Listening, Conversational English, Content-Based Language Learning, Peace Education, English for Academic Purposes (EAP) experience, and advance level Intensive English Program (IEP) experience.
The total compensation for the May 16, 2024 – July 30, 2024 contract period for the ESL summer instructor position is $13,636 – $13,951 and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Employment is contingent upon the completion of a successful background check. Soka University requires all employees and students to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If hired, you are required to be fully vaccinated (including booster) for COVID-19 as a condition of your employment at Soka University, except in instances where you have a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief that is contrary to receiving the vaccine. You will be required to provide your vaccination record on your first day of employment.
Application review will begin immediately. The position will remain open, and applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Must submit the following to be considered:
- Letter of interest for this position
- Official transcripts of all university level work (Sealed transcripts will need to be provided if you are offered the position and would like to accept the offer)
Please apply on the Interfolio site by clicking on this link: http://apply.interfolio.com/139746
For inquiries, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.