Join a team that believes students will meet the highest academic achievement expectations.EPIC Academy
is a dynamic educational institution dedicated to fostering academic excellence and empowering students to reach their full potential. Located in the vibrant city of Chicago, we are committed to providing an innovative and inclusive learning environment that prepares students for success in a rapidly evolving world.
EPIC Academy proudly serves one of the most resilient student demographics in Chicago, with 96% of students qualifying for free/reduced lunch, 25% having Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), and 15% being English Language Learners. On average, our 9th graders enter with academic skills at the 4th-grade level. Despite the prevailing expectation in the area that high school graduation is the ultimate goal, we view these so-called "obstacles" as opportunities to build upon our students' strengths.
At EPIC, we have three overarching goals for every student:
- Be Prepared for College: We are committed to preparing our students for college and equipping them with the skills and knowledge they need to thrive in a higher education setting.
- Develop College-Bound Beliefs and Behaviors: We instill in our students the belief that college is within their reach, and we help them develop the behaviors and mindset required to achieve this goal.
- Graduate from College: Our ultimate aim is to see our students not only enter college but also graduate, setting them on a path to lifelong success.
To achieve these goals, we inspire our students to envision their future, provide transformative experiences that broaden their horizons, and cultivate the academic skills necessary to reach their aspirations.Why Join EPIC Academy:
Responsibilities:Execute a Skills-First Curriculum (CRS):
- Contribute to a team dedicated to inspiring and equipping students for college and career success.
- Work in a collaborative environment that believes in the potential of every student.
- Be part of a school with a proven track record of achieving academic excellence.
Teach 5 Sections of ESL 1-3:
- Prioritize skills over content, ensuring flexibility to engage students effectively in mastering essential skills.
Identify and Screen Language Learners:
- Implement instruction in a block schedule structure (80-minute classes) to facilitate a deep and immersive learning experience.
Administer ACCESS Testing:
- Identify and screen students in need of initial language screening to tailor instruction to individual needs.
Professional Development Sessions:
- Conduct ACCESS testing for English Language Learners in January-February to assess language proficiency and inform instructional strategies.
Participate in School Functions:
- Provide 2-4 professional development sessions to teachers on effective teaching practices for English language learners.
- Attend and actively participate in professional development, freshmen retreats, parent conferences, and other key school functions.
Data and Compliance:
- Display professionalism at all times, serving as a role model for students and upholding the school's mission and culture.
Attendance and Instructional Time:
- Deliver reports and paperwork critical to tracking student performance and ensuring school compliance with a high level of organization.
- Maintain a high level of attendance, recognizing that every second of instruction counts in shaping students' academic journeys.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Type 9 Illinois Teaching Certificate and NCLB Highly Qualified status in Secondary English required.
- ESL Endorsement required.
- Transitional Bilingual Endorsement in Spanish preferred
EPIC Academy is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. To Apply:
Submit your resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org