Multilingual Learner Learning Specialist, Brooklyn, New York
In-Person Work Required
This is an exempt position and is not eligible for overtime WHO WE ARE
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing nearly 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. Our goal is to provide students with curriculum and instruction that is both standards-aligned and culturally responsive. Our approach is designed to provide the conditions that nurture students as critical thinkers and natural problem-solvers. As an organization we are committed to engaging in work that disrupts and roots out systems and structures that perpetuate white supremacy. We intentionally seek to build and maintain a diverse and talented team that reflects the backgrounds and experiences of our students and creates an inclusive environment for all employees. WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults. We believe equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive-we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving toward excellent academic results. We believe it is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Brooklyn community. WHO YOU ARE
Explore Schools seeks a skilled and dedicated educator with experience providing targeted and individualized instruction to elementary multilingual learners (MLs). You believe that collaboration amongst the adults at a school lead to the highest levels of student achievement. You prioritize student engagement, critical thinking, and authentic relationship-building in the classroom. You have demonstrated that you are a reflective practitioner and prioritize the needs of your students first and are committed to doing the work to educate the whole child. Additionally, you possess the following qualities:
- Dedicated to working in communities that have historically been underserved and under-resourced
- Committed to thoughtfully engaging in identity work necessary to take a culturally responsive approach to pedagogy and relationship-building with students and colleagues
- Exceptional dedication and intentionality to achieve results and and make growth in your own practice and in related student outcomes
- Ability to cultivate a positive classroom culture through building relationships with students and using classroom management strategies to promote safety and inclusion of all students
WHAT YOU”LL DO
- Classroom presence: you are clear and precise when sharing new content with students and can effectively lead students through inquiry-based class discussions
- Exceptional communication skills: you shine in front of the classroom and through written and verbal communication
- Experience providing targeted and individualized instruction to multilingual learners, including those with limited English Language proficiency
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- 2+ years of English as a new language teaching experience, strongly preferred
- New York State Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certification OR Special Education Certification, preferred
- Master”s Degree in Education, preferred
Multilingual Learner Language Learning Specialists are critical to our mission. Your work will contribute to Explore”s English as a New Language (ENL) program. Your main responsibilities will be to provide targeted small group instruction and in-class accommodations to students while collaborating with the Special Populations team to monitor and report student progress towards language goals and drive strategic instructional decisions to provide differentiated support to students with limited English proficiency. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Instruct students through targeted small groups and in-class accommodations to help them achieve their learning and language goals
- Provide a range of instructional, management, and assessment strategies to meet the different language needs of students
- Actively analyze student achievement and language proficiency data to drive strategic instructional decisions
- Maintain updated ML data, including snapshots, rosters, and progress monitoring data
- Design and/or execute school-based professional development that builds educators” capacity to improve our academic and language development support of students who are MLs
- Coordinate parent communication, as needed
- Collaborate with grade level teams across content areas to modify and differentiate instruction as needed, collaborating to implement strategies in the classroom
- Execute all steps of the ML identification process in accordance with state guidelines and identify language goals for students who are determined to be limited English proficient.
- Manage testing administration for ML identification and language proficiency, including: processing HLIS forms, NYSITELL, NYSESLAT, and WIDA
- Attend and actively participate in all meetings including PLCs, grade level meetings, and PD sessions
- Foster an environment built on restorative practices by ensuring that students are building relationships with one another and repairing harm to the community
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Assist with non-instructional supervision of students, such as arrival/dismissal, hallway monitoring, lunch and playground duty, or supervision of extracurricular activities
- Additional responsibilities as needed
Explore Schools offers our staff a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Our salary scale for this role has been established using an equity lens and is based on relevant years of experience, education, and NYS certification.
- Teachers with a bachelor's degree and between 0 - 10 years of experience can expect to receive an annualized base salary of $62,710 - $84,000 for the 2024-2025 school year. Teachers with a master's degree and between 0 - 10 years of experience can expect to receive an annualized base salary of $67,486 - $93,636 for the 2023-2024 school year.
- We believe teachers get better and are able to deepen their impact over time. Our scale for this role is designed to honor this, and we do not cap years of experience for an incoming teacher. Increases are offered each year based on your tenure.
- We also offer a variety of additional compensation opportunities including stipends for additional time worked and leadership opportunities, additional pay for specialized certifications, and more.
- The Recruitment team will be able to share more information about our additional compensation opportunities, along with where you will be placed on the scale during your first phone screen.
Additionally, you can expect:
- A competitive and comprehensive benefits plan, covering up to 95% of the cost for employees and their families. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, employer paid disability and life insurance, parental leave benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time and paid holidays, professional development, continuing education scholarships, referral bonuses, employee assistance program (EAP), childcare assistance, a 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching, and more!
- Flexible and reflective leadership: dedicated to staff development, team cohesion, and shared responsibility for decision-making, development, and team-wide priorities
- Driven and passionate colleagues who contribute to a professional and collaborative work environment
- Opportunities to sit on various committees and participate in initiatives central to key organizational decisions and strategic planning
- Our school-based staff also receive:
LOCATION AND PHYSICIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Professional development: weekly PD, year-round retreats and trainings, and ongoing coaching by professionals
- Continued education support: staff are eligible to receive scholarship funds towards qualifying towards role relevant New York State certification costs, higher education tuition, and professional development
Explore Schools is a network of 8 charter schools located in Canarsie, Crown Heights, and Flatbush communities of Brooklyn, NY. Our schools are currently operating fully in-person. For this position:
- In-person work is required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- This is an exempt position and is not eligible for overtime.
- The standard work week is 45 hours, though at times you may work more.
- This role requires that you be able to stand for at least 5 hours a day, take multiple trips up and down the stairs in a day, and move quickly in an emergency.
As discussed in our Who We Are section, Explore Schools is an equal opportunity employer. It is important to us that all staff members have a place of employment that is free of discrimination of all kinds and where staff can bring their authentic selves to work. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran, or military status. If any employee or applicant believes they have been discriminated against, they should let Yasmin Mohsin or Tiffany Williams know immediately.