Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) is the 6th largest library system in the United States, with 61 neighborhood libraries located throughout the Borough of Brooklyn. BPL offers free programs and services for all ages and stages of life, including a large selection of books in more than 30 languages, author talks, literacy programs and public computers.
The Outreach Services Department is seeking ESOL teachers to teach beginning community English language classes. The ESOL teacher, will teach listening, speaking, reading & writing to adults.
- Engage students in a learning community and facilitate contextualized lessons tailored to student needs and abilities
- Prepare lesson plans that utilize the BPL Community ESOL Curriculum and library resources
- Complete administrative duties in a timely manner
- Provide feedback and support that encourages the learners to develop both their language skills and their learning autonomy
- Participate in library and industry professional development and training; set individual learning and development goals and actively seek opportunities to further develop teaching practice
- Work independently and collaboratively
- BA/BS and certificate in TESOL required. MA in TESOL a plus
- Knowledge of TESOL methodology and techniques; experience with multi-cultural, low level adult learners
- Strong Proficiency in the use of office equipment including computers, data projector, smart boards, smart TVs, printers and copiers
- Ability to perform general clerical functions including maintaining accurate records and compiling information and statistics
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills
- Creative and ability to solve problems with a strong commitment to adult literacy and learning
- Must be able to work a varied schedule, including potential evenings and weekends
- Proficient utilizing Zoom and Microsoft Teams
*Locations vary depending on the enrollment/registration.
*All classes are in-person and on-site.
Please note that this position is part-time position. 4 hours a week of instruction and 1 hour for class preparation. Rate of pay is $38 - $40/hr.