About This Role:
Kansas State University seeks an experienced and dynamic leader to be the Department Head of Modern Languages, with credentials for appointment at the rank of Professor (preferred) or advanced Associate Professor. This is a 12-month, full-time tenured appointment. The successful candidate's primary research and teaching area should be in Spanish, and candidates with expertise in multiple language areas are especially welcome to apply. The department offers an MA and majors in Spanish, French, and German, as well as minors in these language and Chinese, Classical Studies, Spanish Translation, and Japanese.
The successful applicant is expected to be a dynamic leader who will continue to grow the department's reputation for excellence in teaching, research, and advising. The candidate should be dedicated to quality teaching and scholarly endeavors, as well as the professional development and mentoring of faculty, staff, and students. They will provide effective leadership for diverse faculty and graduate/undergraduate programs; have knowledge of college and university policies; and communicate and collaborate effectively and transparently with faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds.
The Head is appointed by the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences and will be responsible for budgets, personnel, curriculum development and assessment, research productivity, pursuing internal and external grant or funding opportunities, alumni and stakeholder engagement, and organizing committee and service responsibilities of the department. This position also is expected to be an effective advocate and representative of the department to internal and external stakeholders, as the Head is the direct liaison between the department and university administration. The candidate will demonstrate well-developed communication and interpersonal, organizational, and management skills.
Description of responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and advocacy for the Department to advance its goals in concert and alignment with the University's and College's vision, mission, and goals;
- Ensure faculty members are appropriately mentored in their teaching, research, and service responsibilities to enhance their prospects for career success;
- Manage the academic, administrative, and operational functions of the Department;
- Facilitate Departmental activities and foster a collegial environment and a commitment to continual improvement;
- Encourage and expand the Department's participation in seeking grants and contracts;
- Build strong relationships with constituencies relating to the Department's mission and programs;
- Enhance and support current programs and develop viable new programs;
- Promote and support excellence of faculty in teaching, research and scholarship, and service;
- Maintain a record of scholarly accomplishment;
- Teach undergraduate and graduate level courses in Spanish or graduate courses in Modern Languages, such as pedagogy, linguistics, TEFL, or language research methods;
- Take an active role in professional organizations and university service
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
This position is required to be performed on-site. Work is performed on employer premises or designated assignment location.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- PhD in Spanish (literature or linguistics) or another language offered by the Department
- Record of teaching and advising, research and creative endeavors, and service commensurate with the rank of Associate Professor
- Demonstrate an appreciation of and achievement in scholarly research activities;
- Have a national reputation for scholarship in Spanish or a field of modern languages;
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds;
- Be an effective advocate for the Department and the value of modern languages in higher education; and
- Be an effective liaison across academic units and an effective connector and collaborator within the Department.
- PhD in Spanish (literature or linguistics)
- Record of teaching and advising, research and creative endeavors, and service commensurate with the rank of Professor
- Established record of successful leadership experience and coordination of undergraduate and graduate programs in higher education;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Have an understanding of budgets and budgeting processes;
- Demonstrate the ability to learn on the job and adapt;
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
Applicants must upload the following documents into the PageUp section for this position:
- a letter of application describing their interests, qualifications, and administrative experience, as well as their philosophy of leadership and teaching
- a detailed curriculum vitae
- the names and contact information for three references who can speak to the applicant's administrative capacities and academic reputation.
Screening of Applications Begins:
The screening of applications will begin on 15 February 2024, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions should be sent to Dr. Charles Martin (email@example.com), chair of the search committee.
Anticipated Hiring Pay Range:
$110,000 - 130,000 / Commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Jan 18, 2024 Central Standard Time