Adult Education Teacher needed to teach English as a Second Language for the Western Connecticut Regional Adult and Continuing Education (WERACE). Classes meet Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8:30pm at various sites throughout Danbury.
SUMMARY/GOAL OF THE POSITION:
Responsible for teaching English as a Second Language courses by implementing the CCS in planning geared toward the adult learner in a classroom setting. Plan lessons and curriculum based on the learning needs of culturally diverse and multi-skill level students which prepare students for life goals as well as the workforce.
ESSENTIAL TASKS OF THE POSITION (Illustrative not inclusive):
- Plan and prepares relevant and practical class lessons and monitors student's performance;
- Implement a variety of instructional delivery methods, that include group or individualized instruction as well as computer programs that help students make learning gains. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals;
- Creates a climate that encourages and supports learning
- Complete and maintain appropriate student registration, attendance, and assessment records, and ensure timely submission of data for CARS input;
- Responsible for effective classroom management that enhances student learning;
- Understands, models, and teaches legal and ethical practices regarding information and educational technology;
- Contacts students and teachers as needed;
- Performs other tasks and responsibilities as delegated by the Director or Facilitator of Adult Education
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of adult learner and alternative educational methods and have the ability to apply these methods for adult, at-risk teens and multicultural students;
- Ability to teach students of diverse abilities and backgrounds and overcome barriers to success in a multi-level class;
- Ability to relate well to different groups of students of different ages and ability levels;
- Exceptional computer skills and be familiar with software programs;
- Ability to use a variety of audio-visual equipment;
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and through correct written grammar and usage;
- Must have good classroom management skills;
- Must have strong desire to work with people from a broad range of backgrounds;
- Must be a team-player who can collaborate with colleagues;
- Must participate in curriculum development;
- Must attend in-service, staff meetings and state training;
- Must maintain clean and professional classroom environment;
- Must possess excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Must be enthusiastic for the subject material that will foster a love of learning by students;
- Exceptional computer skills and be familiar with software programs
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Prior teaching experience required.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Valid Connecticut Teaching Certificate for appropriate level of instruction and/or subjects for content area assignment
- Valid Adult Ed certification
- Background check required
- Screening for Tuberculosis (TB) required
- Length of Adult Ed Program; 9 months
- This is a Part-Time, Non-Union position.
- Stipend is $35.24/hour.
- There are no benefits associated with this position
Apply Online, including all required attachments.