The ESL Teaching Assistant:
- Assists the ESL Teacher in adhering to federal, state, and local administrative requirements of the English as a Second Language Program
- Assists the lead teacher in ensuring that the physical safety, emotional, social, and educational needs of the students are met
- Works under the supervision of an ESL Certified teacher
- Works in coordination with all teachers, staff, and administration on campus
Great Hearts Academies is a growing network of 43 public, open-enrollment, tuition-free schools in San Antonio (TX), Dallas/Ft. Worth (TX), Phoenix (AZ), and (opening in fall 2023) Baton Rouge (LA). We currently provide over 24,000 K-12 students with access to a high quality, classical liberal arts education, without the barriers that often come with private prep schools. We gladly prepare our graduates for success in the best universities in the nation, but our main purpose is the formation of the soul, heart, and mind. We believe that the highest goal of education is to become good, intellectually and morally.
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- Prior experience working with children preferred
- Effective communication skills with children/youth
Starts at $17.00/hour
Great Hearts offers a very competitive benefits package and overall compensation will be commensurate with talent, experience and education.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assists the lead teacher with classroom management.
- Works with teacher for on-the-job training through planning and teaching students in small-group, pull-out, and/or General Education settings.
- Assists teacher in gathering student academic information from internal and external sources, including grade reports, assessment data, etc.
- Assists with the organization and preparation of the Language Proficiency Test administration for new students.
- Complies with all attendance guidelines and policies of the district.
- Attends trainings and meetings as requested by administrators.
- Directs all communications with families to the lead teacher.
- Assists teacher with daily preparation and cleanup of classroom.
- Works effectively with other staff members.
- Arrives to work on time daily.
- Maintains proper professional appearance.
- Performs other duties as assigned by lead teacher and administration.
Personal Qualities & Values:
With humility and curiosity, we seek to know more about our core purpose; seek to share (with each other and with others externally as an advocate); seek to live the mission ourselves with relentless pursuit and intrinsic motivation; seek to understand our work and how it serves the mission...which should result in getting the right stuff done with measurable results because we love actualization - not just the theory
The foundational element of having a servant's heart is the acknowledgement of inherent dignity in their fellow human. Someone with a servant's heart believes that their work is to promote the development of those around them and make it possible for others to be successful in serving the mission of the organization.
We believe our mission can only be accomplished through collaboration and receive true joy in being a part of something greater than ourselves; Each of us is one part of a whole, each with different roles, expertise and responsibilities; working together in synchronicity.
ESL at Great Hearts
At Great Hearts, our English as a Second Language Teaching Assistants, Teachers, and Coordinators are integral members of our faculty and participate in all faculty-wide events and professional development. Their specialized expertise provides English learners assistance with grade-level curriculum using ESL strategies, enabling students to become academically successful. Great Hearts aims to serve all students including English learners in a manner that affirms and reflects their dignity and rightful participation within the larger student body and academy. Through small group and one-to-one support, the ESL team provides essential support throughout the school year and with annual state assessment preparation. Through the state mandated Language Proficiency Assessment Committee identification, monitoring and reclassification processes, ESL Coordinators and Teachers support all English learners at Great Hearts as they develop their academic English language to proficiency.