General Statement of Duties
Salem State University is seeking an adjunct professor with interest and experience in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Language (TESOL) courses. Teaching assignments will include core graduate courses in language acquisition, language instruction, curriculum and assessment, and culturally sustaining pedagogy. Teaching assignments can also be seminars, pre-practicum, and practicum experiences, depending upon the expertise of the candidate and needs of the programs. Course delivery modalities include on campus and online instruction.
Duties and Responsibilities
General duties will also include advising students and curriculum/program development. Instructors are expected to work collaboratively with faculty, in a school with future-directed leadership and a collective focus on academic excellence, success of our students and faculty development. Other job responsibilities include the following:
- Check Salem State email daily and respond within 24 hours, Monday-Friday.
- Attend any scheduled orientation and training sessions.
- Set up, publish and maintain the University-approved s-Learning platform.
- Assign grades and participate in any other required assessment activities using required platforms and input final grade or feedback by the due date at end of term.
This posting will be valid for three years to build a sufficient adjunct pool.
- Master's degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, Bilingual Education, or related degree
- English language teaching experience in P-12, adult, or overseas settings
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration and collegiality
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching, supervision, and advising
- Strength and potential for excellence and leadership in community engagement and university services
- Appropriate terminal degree
- College-level teaching experience, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Experience delivering instruction in a variety of learning modalities (in person, online)
- Experience teaching a diverse population
- Bilingual/multilingual skills
- As an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Salem State University seeks to enrich the faculty/librarian ranks by actively encouraging candidates whose lived and scholarly experiences directly address issues regarding the health, welfare, and representation of Latinx populations in the United States. Candidates who meet this strongly desired qualification should present documented activities in Latinx-related teaching, scholarship/research, and service, including community-based endeavors in each of these three areas.
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Please apply online and attach curriculum vitae, cover letter, and transcripts for all degrees earned
- Adjunct positions are temporary for one semester only, with a possibility for re-hire. All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Adjunct positions are not eligible for H1B Visa sponsorship
- Pre-Employment Background check will be conducted for all selected applicants
- Application review will begin immediately and continue until an adequate pool is developed
Salem State University is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.