The English Language Institute (ELI) at Westchester Community College seeks a full-time Program Administrator (WCC). The ELI serves over 5000 English language learners per year on the main campus, four extension sites, various community-based programs and online. This full-time, 12-month position reporting to the Assistant Dean of ESL manages several areas of a large English as a Second Language program. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Academic and administrative oversight of a seven-day per week academic program, on and off campus, with primary responsibility for management and development of the Intensive English Program, the Accelerated Immersion Program (morning), English for Academic Purposes and Tuesday/Thursday Evenings.
- Assuring a high level of instructional quality through leadership and management of the hiring and re-hiring process of adjunct faculty, including supervision of contracting and regular teaching and subbing assignments, communication of college policies, compliance with college regulations.
- Providing onboard training and orientation as well as supervision and evaluation.
- Coordinating, along with the TESOL Coordinator, professional development opportunities for all ELI faculty.
- Developing and maintaining relations with appropriate business and community-based organizations and other entities with an interest in ESL training and service.
- In collaboration with the Professional Development Center, develops and supervises administrative components of workplace ESL projects and grants.
- Proving leadership to ELI coordinators, staff and faculty and fostering a culture of collaboration, respect, support and understanding.
- Setting and meeting professional development goals on a continual basis through, for example, participation in conferences, community meetings, seminars, and professional workshops to be able to keep the ELI team and faculty abreast of developments in areas relevant to ESL training and program administration.
- Developing curriculum to meet the needs of language learners, including textbook selection, use of instructional technology and other pedagogical innovations.
- Recruiting, placing, and assessing students, with special oversight of coordinating placement testing and end-of-term student assessments, ensuring test coverage, accurate scoring, and effective processes are performed in a timely manner.
- Managing and participating in the academic and linguistic advisement service for English language learners entering or transitioning to American higher education.
- Managing various recurring student scholarships programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must possess a Bachelor's Degree and three years of experience in the field of education, educational administration, or analyses of customer needs, program operations, marketing, customer services or in the field of English as a Second or Foreign Language. The satisfactory completion of 30 credits toward a Master's degree may be substituted for each year of experience. ESL/EFL teaching experience in an adult, higher education environment is also required.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: The preferred candidate will possess:
- A Master's Degree in TESOL or closely related field.
- A minimum of five years of experience in the administration of an academic, programmatic or support service area in the field of English as a Second or Foreign Language in adult education.
- A minimum of five years of ESL/EFL teaching experience in an adult, higher education environment.
- Both in-person and online ESL/EFL teaching experience.
- Spanish language fluency(strongly preferred).
- Experience in use of data management systems; experience working with online teaching platforms; use of Microsoft Excel at advanced level.
- Demonstrated experience developing and/or restructuring ESL courses/programs in a higher education a plus.
The successful candidate will be expected to have excellent writing, communication, technology, research and problem-solving skills and a facility for data collection, reporting and operations management, including budgeting. All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice in all college policies, practices, and personnel.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: The position will remain open until filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $79,822. Additional compensation with seniority steps maximize at a salary of $105,944. Benefits include comprehensive health coverage, a choice of defined benefit and/or defined contribution pension plan, generous leave benefits, and access to tax sheltered annuities and a deferred compensation plan.
WORK SCHEDULE: The work schedule is 9:00 am - 5:00 pm with the ability to be flexible, as managerial duties require evenings and weekends coverage and oversight.
Applicants must apply online by submitting a letter expressing interest in this position, a resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references. You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of hire. Please login to: https://sunywcc.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp in order to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents. The review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning.
The College will provide equal opportunity in all of its employment practices to all persons without unlawful discrimination on the basis of political affiliation, age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, membership in any reserve component of the armed forces, or use or non-use of lawful products off College premises during nonworking hours, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law.