About Greenfield Community College:
If you are looking for a rewarding career in higher education, Greenfield Community College (GCC) offers a dynamic workplace where you can contribute to student success and the broader community. As a NECHE accredited public community college, GCC offers its students innovative programs in Liberal Arts, Farm and Food Systems, Engineering, Fine Arts, Nursing, and Adventure Education. The campus, located in Greenfield, Massachusetts, includes an Outdoor Learning Lab, on-campus farm, wetlands, and forest. The college is known for its caring and supportive environment of dedicated faculty and staff, and maintains an impressive transfer rate with nearly half of its students transferring to four-year colleges.
Greenfield Community College provides a high quality education to all who seek the knowledge and skills necessary to thrive and effect positive change in their lives, communities, and the world. With excellence, innovation, and an unwavering commitment to teaching and learning together in an inclusive and caring environment, we empower all learners to reach their full potential.
Greenfield Community College aspires to be an agent for a more equitable, just, vibrant, and resilient world through education.
English as a Second Language (ESOL) Instructor
SALARY RANGE: $35 - $40 per hour, commensurate with qualifications and experience
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Greenfield Community College's Workforce Development Office seeks experienced English as a Second Language (ESOL) instructors to meet the immediate needs of the division. In-person availability, ability to start immediately, and experience teaching adult job seekers are requirements for this role, which reports to the Dean of Workforce Development.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Instruct non-credit English language (speaking, reading and writing) skill building courses for adult job seekers, according the terms and schedule outlined in contract;
- Develop curriculum and prepare lessons by identifying, developing, and implementing materials that integrate listening, speaking, reading, and writing elements to meet the needs of non-credit adult learners who are preparing for employment in the region;
- Create, implement, and track learner progress related to course objectives, student learning outcomes, and learning activities that are appropriate for English language learners and that engage adult learners to promote their learning;
- Update and modify materials and lessons regularly to maintain relevance and effectiveness;
- Maintain up to date training and teaching materials in Moodle (LMS);
- Collaborate with other instructors as needed to share and develop resources;
- Perform classroom management tasks such as taking attendance, administering and grading assessments, communicating with learners and Workforce staff about learners' progress, and tracking progress as needed the Moodle (LMS);
- Help learners identify and set individual goals related to their learning and employment; partner with learners to ensure that they are making progress toward achieving those goals;
- Guide learners in understanding English while affirming their own cultural and linguistic backgrounds;
- Be available for meetings with learners before and/or after class hours, or by appointment, and/or over the phone or email, as required;
- Administer course evaluations and use feedback to improve classroom management and instruction;
- Participate in instructor orientation, meet with the Dean of Workforce Development as required throughout contract, and participate in professional development and training opportunities as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE*:
- Master's Degree in TESOL or a master's degree in education with specific coursework or training in TESOL/TESL/TEFL methodology and theory.
- Availability to teach consist, regularly scheduled in-person ESOL classes at Greenfield Community College's main campus
- Ability to adapt teaching styles and materials to meet individual needs of learners;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Documented experience with at least one additional non-English language;
- Excellent cultural competence and sensitivity;
- Experience working with and teaching adult learners;
- Experience working with and teaching diverse populations;
- Experience in using technology in the classroom, including LMS and video conferencing tools;
- Documented experience with curriculum development for an ESOL learner;
- Experience in instructional design a plus
- EQUIVALENCY STATEMENT:
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications as stated above are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them with the equivalent combination of education, training and experience required for the responsibilities of this position.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT:
Greenfield Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, GCC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer by contacting Human Resources by email at email@example.com or by phone at 413-775-1313
ANNUAL SECURITY REPORT NOTICE:
Greenfield Community College's Annual Security Report is available online at www.gcc.mass.edu/webdocs/safety/GCC-Annual-Security-Report.pdf
The report contains crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years for certain locations associated with the College as well as other campus security and personal safety topics such as: crime prevention; campus safety authority; crime reporting polices; campus alerts (Timely Warnings and Emergency Notifications), programs to prevent dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking; and other matters of importance related to security on campus.
If you would like to receive a paper copy of the Annual Security Report, you can stop by the Public Safety Office at One College Drive, Greenfield, MA 01301 or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling 413-775-1212.
- Greenfield Community College is proud to value diversity in our community of faculty, staff and students and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS ACCREDITED BY THE NEW ENGLAND COMMISSION OF HIGHER EDUCATION
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online.
To apply, click on the "Apply Now" button.
You will be prompted to set up a new account or login to an existing account.
From there, you will be able to upload the following required documents for consideration:
When preparing your cover letter and resume, please refer to the minimum and preferred qualifications and, if applicable, include an equivalency statement.
Successful completion of a CORI check WILL be required as a condition of employment. Official copies of all academic transcripts will be required at the time of hire.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.