About Middlesex Community College:
Middlesex Community College (MCC), established in 1970, provides access to affordable education for a diverse community from all ethnic backgrounds and identities, preparing individuals for success and lifelong learning. We promote academic excellence, provide workforce development opportunities, and empower all learners to become productive and socially responsible members of our local and global communities.
The College provides a broad range of services that are essential to attract, reward, and retain talented faculty and staff. The MCC community promotes a culture of inclusion in which our employees feel supported and empowered to best serve our diverse student population. We are proud to offer our classes on both the Bedford and Lowell campuses, as well as a robust online course offering. MCC is committed to transforming lives as we educate, challenge, and support all students as evident in our strategic plan.
As an Affirmative Action employer, MCC strongly encourages members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence to apply.
Title: ESOL Non-Credit Instructor
Unit: Part-Time, Non-Unit
Department: Corporate Education and Training
Reports to: Senior Director of Corporate Education and Training
Date: December 14, 2023
General Summary: For over three decades, Middlesex has worked with local employers to educate and train thousands of employees in hundreds of businesses, industries and municipalities throughout the 21 cities and towns of Middlesex County. Our goal is to provide the educational and training tools they need to make the best use of their most important assets - their employees - while improving their competitiveness in a global economy. We offer non-credit courses and short-term, highly focused programs in selected fields to meet the needs and interests of learners no matter what age, or stage of life, or career. From career training and honing work skills to pursuing hobbies, studying a language, or taking a baking class, there's always something new and enriching to discover at Middlesex Community College.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide instruction to non-English speaking individuals on the fundamentals of the English language so that they can communicate with others in-person, on either Bedford or Lowell campus, or offsite;
- Create a supportive learning environment utilizing current best practices and strategies for success;
- Provide students with timely feedback and guidance for further learning;
- Foster independent thinking, accuracy, and cooperative and collaborative learning;
- Respond to students' questions and promote further inquiry;
- Integrate the use of technology where appropriate;
- Remain dedicated to academic excellence and inclusivity, serving students of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
- Meet or exceed requirements established in course descriptions, utilize course outlines
- Prepare course outline
- Maintain and submit student attendance according to college and department policies and procedures including, but not limited to attendance, grade book, and class rosters.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Blackboard LMS, and PC
- College or high school-level teaching experience is strongly preferred both in-person and online
- Bilingual skills a plus
- Experience with equity-minded work and/or understanding of individuals of diverse identities such as race, ethnicity, socioeconomic level, sexual orientation, veterans, and individuals with different academic preparation levels and varying physical and learning abilities.
- Master's degree in English as a Second Language, Applied Linguistics, or TESOL with a minimum of two (2) years of teaching experience or Master's Degree in Education with an English language teaching certificate in TESL or TEFL
Salary Range: Actual salary commensurate with academic background and experience.
Location: Courses will be taught at either campus in Bedford or Lowell, or at a corporate partner/employer site in the MCC service area.
Hours: Schedule to be determined upon hire
Expected Start Date: January 2024
Application Deadline: This position will remain open until filled
All applicants must apply online by submitting:
- Cover Letter
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
The College will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI/SORI) request.
Middlesex Community College only accepts application materials through our online application system. We are unable to accept application materials through mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. If you do not have access to a computer, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Middlesex Community College strives to make the application and interview process accessible for all applicants but understands that applicants may still encounter barriers due to ability, language, or technology. If we can make the process any more accessible for you, contact Human Resources at 781-280-3549 or firstname.lastname@example.org.