COMMUNITY EDUCATION: ADULT EDUCATION & FAMILY LITERACY - ESL INSTRUCTOR
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT: Semester to semester basis, based on program needs. Reports to the Head Instructor of ESL-IEL/CE.
- Instructs learners following the ESL Curriculum that is aligned with the Illinois ESL Content Standards and College & Career Readiness Standards (CCRS);
- Utilizes designated core text materials and various appropriate authentic materials from the community, including technology, in a contextualized instructional approach;
- Explains and defines workers' rights and identifies ways to report violations of a worker's rights.
- Takes students on a field trip to the comprehensive One Stop Center to promote the services available there.
- Identifies and defines different occupational clusters.
- Helps students identify barriers to educational and economic pathways.
- Reviews and explains current course offerings at the local Community College.
- Engages learners in interactive, participatory lessons following the principles of adult learning, instructional approaches, learning styles, and assessment as outlined in our ESL Curriculum;
- Embeds critical thinking/problem-solving skills and community-building activities, and teaches learning strategies in instruction in order to meet learners' needs beyond survival skills;
- Incorporates learners' prior experiences, cultural heritage, and community resources into instruction while demonstrating a caring and supportive attitude, flexibility, openness, and sensitivity for cultural, gender and age differences in adult learners;
- Follows the steps of the ESL student orientation process in the Packet for ESL Instructors and creates student interaction by implementing the activities in the Student Success Activity Book;
- Encourages learner persistence in setting individual short-term and long-term goals while fostering self confidence in ability to succeed and to manage negative forces to retention;
- Monitors learner progress by utilizing alternative assessment tools and processes, including the Individual Student Competency Checklist;
- Utilizes Tests and Test Prep materials and Post-Test Competencies for CASAS Forms listing to prepare students for CASAS post-testing;
- Accurately fulfills the requirements of the data collection process within the requested time frame;
- Reviews and analyzes the DAIS-I Instructor Outcomes Report - Individual each semester;
- Attends and documents an annual minimum of twelve hours of professional development relevant to ESL levels currently taught, including two program-hosted ESL professional development meetings (Fall and Spring);
- Keeps current with program information and updates by reading all ESL teacher memos and email communications;
- Must complete new employee GCN training and updates annually as required according to deadlines
- Must demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills in dealing with staff, students, parents, outside officials/agencies, and the general public.
- Must project a positive image of the district as well as exhibit a positive employee attitude.
- Performs other tasks assigned by supervisor
- ESL Standards Proficient Instructor Certification.
- Three years of experience in teaching adult ESL.
- ICCB Preferred Instructor status.
- BA/BS degree in Education or related field, including language instruction methodology.
- Must complete the ICCB "Orientation to Adult Education for Instructors" upon hiring.
- Must clear a fingerprint background check through District 214.
- Able to instruct a class for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Able to perform frequent bending, stooping, and reaching activities.
- Must have physical ability to lift/move supplies, materials and office equipment up to 10 lbs.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Complete an online application and provide the following information:
- Cover Letter
- Resume listing experience, training and education.
- Three (3) current references with contact information.
Click on the RED "APPLY" button above to begin an online application.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our district. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status."