Urbana School District #116TITLE:
Urbana Middle School SUPERVISOR:
Building Principals, Assistant Principals, and Program DirectorsJOB SUMMARY:
Under general direction of the Principals, Assistant Principals and Program Directors the Bilingual teacher is responsible for helping emergent bilingual students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able and responsible men and women. The ESL/Bilingual teacher understands bilingualism and biliteracy as intellectual, academic and social foundations for a just and multicultural society. The teacher values cultural, racial and linguistic diversity and uses it to the benefit of all students in the classroom in her/his objectives and methodology . The teacher is committed to the cultivation and support of a just and multicultural environment and collaborates well with all stakeholders (parents, teachers, instructional coaches, etc.) to ensure student achievement. The teacher provides instruction in accordance with the ESL/Bilingual program requirements to deliver a guaranteed and viable curriculum for second language learners of English at and above the grade-level standards with a particular focus in Math, Science, and Health/PE. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of the students as developing bilinguals.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Understanding of or experience teaching of second language acquisition/learning.
- Knowledge of English as a Second Language (ESL) strategies.
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guides the learning process toward achievement of curriculum goals and in harmony with the goals; establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student group involved.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct; and for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher assistants and volunteers. Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attends staff meetings and in-service activities as directed. Serves on staff committees as required.
- Maintains professional relationship with students and faculty, follows ethics of the teaching profession and promotes the welfare of students at all times.
Some teachers may serve as department chairs, team leaders and building curriculum coordinators.QUALIFICATIONS :
- Bachelor's Degree, from an accredited college or university, with certification and ESL endorsements.
- Preference for Middle School Science or Social Studies Licensure
Valid Illinois Teaching License with the appropriate
endorsements. (ESL endorsement required)TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Salary is based on a step placement which is determined by education, experience and the Urbana Education Association and Board of Education contract.SALARY:
Refer to the Certified Salary ScheduleEVALUATION:
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of professional personnel.START DATE:
August 13, 2024NOTE:
This is a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERREVISED: