Under direction of the school principal, plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students. Provides an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social, and emotional development of individuals to ensure success for every student. Supervises students in a variety of school related settings. Monitors and evaluates student outcomes. Communicates and interacts with students, parents, staff, and community. Develops, selects, and modifies instructional plans and materials to meet the needs of all students. Maintains appropriate records and follows required procedures and practices. Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, materials, and facilities.ESSENTIAL TASKS
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude other duties if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job description. Other duties may be required and assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Plans an instructional program that meets the needs, interests, and abilities of students.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated on a regular and consistent basis.
- Creates a classroom environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and enables each student to achieve learning objectives.
- Prepares for assigned classes and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals.
- Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicates these objectives clearly to all students.
- Establishes learning objectives consistent with the appraisal of student needs, requirements of RCPS curriculum framework, and knowledge of human growth and development.
- Plans for and utilizes instructional methods, resources and evaluation techniques which motivate and enable each student to achieve learning objectives.
- Takes all necessary and safety precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains accurate records and completes records as required by law, RCPS Policy, and Administrative regulation.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Establishes relationships with colleagues, students, parents, and community which reflect recognition of and respect for every individual.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher assistants and volunteers.
- Appraises his/her own effectiveness and demonstrates successful application of skills and information acquired to increase effectiveness. Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Participates in school management and shares responsibility for the total school program.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of RCPS curriculum and techniques for integrating curriculum, RCPS policies, and effective instructional practices; thorough understanding of the teaching and learning process; ability to provide instruction that reflects multiple perspectives and multicultural education; ability to infuse technology into curriculum; ability to work effectively with administrators, colleagues, central office, school based staff, students, parents, and community; excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's Degree in applicable field of education from an accredited college or university. Applicants must hold - or be eligible for - a Virginia teaching license with an endorsement in English as Second Language (ESL). PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Significant standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, pushing, and pulling. The teaching environment requires light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and up to 10 pounds of force frequently or to move objects; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for color perception, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.WORK ENVIRONMENT
Primarily controlled temperature and clean classroom environment. Exposure to outside elements may occur during transitions, field trips, and recess.
RCPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Hayley Poland - Title IX Coordinator (540) 853-1393.