The Itinerant Elementary ELD (English Language Development) Specialist position (K-5) is a full-time teaching position that focuses on the English language development of identified English learners and/or Dual Language learners (DLLs) in DL programs in the Lynn Public Schools. The ELD teacher develops lessons using WIDA standards for various proficiency levels focusing on the four +1 domains of language (speaking, reading, writing, listening, and cross-linguistic connections). Elementary ELD teachers will collaborate with SEI/DL teachers to effectively support social/academic language development. ELD teachers will use WIDA standards, scaffolds to support language development, and data to develop and reflect on lessons to adequately support students at various proficiency levels. The majority of Itinerant Elementary ELD teachers are assigned to a single building. There are a small number of Itinerant ELD positions that may support two buildings based on EL enrollment.About LPS
Lynn is a seaside urban district located on Boston's north shore. The city is known for its contemporary public art, historic architecture, downtown cultural district, and public parks and open spaces, which include the oceanfront Lynn Shore Reservation and Lynn Woods Reservation. Home to an international population, Lynn Public Schools services almost 17,000 students across 18 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, 2 comprehensive high schools, 1 vocational school, and 1 alternative Jr/Sr high school. We are a linguistically-rich community with 68% of our students speaking two or more languages. LPS Core Vision and Values
Drawing upon the strength of our community, our families, our students, and our partners, Lynn Public Schools commits to fulfilling the intellectual, physical, and social-emotional potential of all of our students. We work together so our students learn to thrive, advance, and impact the greater community and the world.
The Lynn Public Schools is committed to our Core Values:
- Shared Responsibility
- Collaborative Relationships
- High Expectations
- Inspiring Life-Long Learning
Lynn Public Schools is dedicated to the goal of strengthening an environment and school culture that honors and celebrates diversity and responds effectively to the social-emotional experiences of every student and family.CERTIFICATES, LICENSES and/or REGISTRATIONS:
EDUCATION, TRAINING and EXPERIENCE:
- Valid license from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary
- Education in ESL PreK-6
- SEI Endorsement as applicable
- Additional content area licensure is encouraged
- Licensure requirements and validity are subject to change at the discretion of DESE
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Master's Degree preferred
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism, and bias, and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities
We encourage you to apply or reach out for more information if you meet some of the qualifications above. The Lynn Public Schools community celebrates that we live in a rapidly changing, increasingly diverse, and connected world. We are committed to hiring educators that represent the diversity of race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, religion, and gender.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
- Use WIDA standards and district ELD curriculum maps to plan and implement lessons with clear language objectives
- Provide required ELD services to identified ELs/DLLs and maintain an up-to-date schedule of services in Ellevation (or other designated software)
- Develop and implement differentiated ELD lessons, incorporating research-based instructional practices for different learning styles and various proficiency levels.
- Provide appropriate and effective learning experiences for students from a wide range of socio-economic levels and cultural backgrounds.
- Utilize data (ACCESS, formative assessments, etc.) and appropriate data systems to monitor English language development and identify any students who meet exit criteria
- Assist in the administration of the ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 assessment
- Use technology to support student learning in and out of the classroom
- Participate in Student Study Team meetings for identified ELs/FELs/DLLs
- Assesses the progress of students on a regular basis via report cards and/or progress reports, as required.
- Plans and implements lessons based on district and school objectives and the needs and abilities of students to whom assigned; and to use instructional technology appropriately and works with students to facilitate their use of instructional technology.
- Collaborates with colleagues, students, and or families on a regular basis.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedures to ensure a productive learning environment.
- Other duties as assigned by principal/supervisor
Building Principal and Executive Director of ELE. The performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the agreement with the Lynn Teachers Union (LTU).TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- As negotiated with Lynn School Committee and Lynn Teachers Union.
- 180 days per year
- Teacher Salary Estimator
The City of Lynn offers comprehensive and competitive health and dental benefits; Harvard Pilgrim PPO/HMO, Altus Dental High/Low, and Vision. Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Plan (FSA) as well as Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability are available on a voluntary basis.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment physical, including a drug test, National fingerprint-based Criminal Background Check (NCBC), and Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI).
be completed PRIOR
to the start of employment.Non-Discrimination Policy
It is the policy of the Lynn Public Schools not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, home status or disability in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its program and activities in compliance with Title VI and VII of Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the 1972 Education Amendments to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and M.G.L., Ch.76. Sec.5, M.G.L., Ch. 151B, and M.G.L., Ch.151C.