ESL English for Speakers of Other Languages Teacher - MORNINGS
Exeter Adult Education is seeking an English for speakers of other languages (ESL) teacher for Spring 2024. We need an ESL evening teacher on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings from 9 am - 11:00 am; 3-mornings a week.
Qualifications include teaching experience in English to speakers of other languages and/or linguistics. Pay is hourly. The teacher is directly responsible to the Adult Education Director.Responsibilities include: Intake and Assessment
- Participation in group intake and assessment for new students including: registration form, interviews, administration of TABE Clas E and TABE tests; writing sample; scoring tests.
- Several weeks after student has attended class, the teacher conducts individual interviews to assist with individual goal setting. The depth of goal setting will vary based on students' communication level.
- Administer and score post-tests to "post-test eligible students" and to any student with 12+ hours who is going to leave the program, and to all at the end of the year.
- The teacher will plan and implement lessons based on students' English speaking, listening, reading, and writing levels and individual goals. Lessons should also include contextualized instruction, employability skills and be aligned to the College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS). For support of these activities the Goals & Objectives in the program's project proposal, locally developed ESL curriculum and sample lesson plans, NH BAE professional development including the ESL Teacher Mentor, and many ESL workbooks are available.
- The teacher may invite the program counselor to visit class to talk share community information and participate in activities as appropriate.
- The teacher will incorporate technology into instruction.
- The teacher will make referrals to the counselor based on student needs.
- The teacher will keep daily accurate student attendance records in google doc and will notify counselor of any attendance concerns. The teacher will enter attendance in LACES weekly, maintain student folders, and will report pre and post-test scores to the director.
- The teacher may review office student files but must not take them out of school.
The teacher is expected to attend all staff meetings, and to participate as a member of the team of adult education teachers, aides, counselor, coordinator, office manager and director to help ensure a cohesive program for all participants. Professional Development
The teacher will attend new staff orientation at the local and state level and access other relevant opportunities throughout the year. Attendance
If the teacher needs to miss a class due to illness or personal reasons, s/he should notify the director as soon as possible and provide plans for a substitute teacher.