The NYS ENL Teacher, also known as an English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher or English Language Learner (ELL) teacher, is responsible for providing English language instruction to students whose primary language is not English. They work in public schools, private schools, or language learning centers to help students acquire English language skills and achieve academic success.
- English Language Instruction: Provide English language instruction to students at various proficiency levels, including listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills.
- Assessment: Assess students' English language proficiency using appropriate assessment tools and develop individualized learning plans.
- Curriculum Development: Develop and adapt curriculum materials to meet the specific needs of English Language Learners (ELLs) and align with state and district standards.
- Differentiated Instruction: Implement differentiated teaching strategies to accommodate the diverse needs and backgrounds of ELLs, including students with disabilities and special needs.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Foster a culturally sensitive and inclusive learning environment that respects and values students' cultural backgrounds.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with classroom teachers, administrators, and support staff to ensure ELLs' academic and linguistic needs are met.
- Parent and Community Engagement: Communicate regularly with parents/guardians regarding students' progress and engage the community in supporting ELLs' education.
- Professional Development: Stay current with best practices in ESL/ENL instruction and participate in professional development activities.
- Compliance: Ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations related to English Language Learners, including the New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT) and English Language Learners Identification Process.
Bachelor's degree in Education, TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), or a related field. A master's degree is often preferred.
Valid New York State teaching certification in English as a New Language (ENL) or TESOL.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Job Number: T09072023