The Lyceum Kennedy French American School provides a bilingual, well-rounded education for its students from preschool through 12th grade. We pride ourselves on the strength of our faculty, the diversity of our student body, and our cultural richness. Through our individualized approach to instruction thanks to our small student-teacher ratio, students are encouraged to leverage their personal strengths and passions as they develop their language and academic knowledge.
We are looking for a full-time Upper School English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher to join our team in August 2024 and teach 6th through 10th grade students. The ideal candidate possesses a balance of high support, growth mindset, and innate joy of working with students.
- Plan and teach a challenging course of study in a developmentally-appropriate manner, with an emphasis on differentiating instruction and the effective use of assessments.
- Develop and maintain outstanding communication with parents via individualized emails, newsletters, or blogs.
- Actively engage students in learning by creating a student-centered classroom.
- Use technology in class preparation and/or instruction, while not relying solely on it.
- Model intellectual curiosity and maintain open-mindedness about different cultures.
- Use positive reinforcement, manage discipline, and conflict resolution.
- Conduct classes and with integrity, and model appropriate behavior for students.
- Evaluate classwork and assessments regularly in a fair and equitable manner.
- Efficiently share evaluations, grades, and homework assignments with parents
- Actively supervise students in other roles such as recess, lunch, field trip, etc.
- Maintain current knowledge of curriculum and instructional methods.
- Pursue relevant opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Share talents and work in partnership with team members on scheduling and planning.
- Actively participate in grade-level and faculty meetings.
- Be a positive and contributing member of the school community.
Full-Time, Exempt Position: 40 hours per week (teaching, preparation, staff meetings, office hours...)
Direct Supervisor: Upper School Director
- Five years of experience teaching ESL in Middle School
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe
- Strong sense of personal accountability and passion for raising the bar with students and challenging them to learn at a high level
- Preferred candidate will have a current U.S. work visa, if applicable
The annual salary for this position will range between $65,000 and $90,000, depending on the candidate”s experience and qualifications. It covers all responsibilities, including teaching and preparation time, orientation week meetings, as well as staff and parent meetings. Lyceum Kennedy French American School highly values formal recognition for positive contributions to the school. Benefits include: private medical premium partially covered (80%), tuition rebate for teachers' children (50%)