Chicago Instructor | TheoryYour Job as a TEFL/TESOL Instructor
Please note: This is NOT a position for teaching ESL, but for training teachers during their TEFL certification.
Did you love teaching English abroad and want to help others explore the world and teach?
Do you want to help others get TEFL certified so they can have a fantastic experience teaching abroad or teaching online? - Yes? Great! Apply to be our Morning Intensive Instructor!Work Hours
: This is a permanent part-time position with 20 hours of work per week while class is in session. Location:
You will teach in our World Headquarters Office. Address: 916 West Diversey Parkway, Chicago. Our office is one block from the Diversey Brown Line CTA stop in Lincoln Park. You must be legally authorized to work in the USA.WHO ARE WE?
International TEFL Academy (ITA) is one of the world's largest TEFL training schools and has been in business since 2010. We have consistently been ranked as the best TEFL certification school for both online and in-person classes for the past 4 years in a row. In 2023, ITA won the prestigious GoAbroad People's Choice Award honoring the top international education organization as selected by study abroad professionals and students. This is the 4th time in five years that ITA has been honored with this award. ITA is on the Inc. 5000 list for top growth companies four years in a row from 2018 - 2021. Read more about ITA's recognition and awards here.
We train & certify over 5,000 students a year to Teach English as a Foreign Language (TEFL). We believe top-level TEFL training builds a realistic pathway for our students to achieve their dreams and success as professional English language teachers. Our alumni teach at schools in 80+ countries abroad, teach online from the comfort of their homes, and live as global nomads teaching online from around the world.As the worldwide leader in the field of TEFL, we provide:
- Pre-enrollment information and personalized guidance from expert advisors,
- The Gold Standard in TEFL training and certification,
- Lifetime job search guidance - online and worldwide,
- Alumni community & peer engagement,
- Our staff with a safe, inclusive, supportive workplace/culture/job/career to grow and learn.
We are committed to changing people's lives by providing them an opportunity to see the world. We have all "been there and done that" and we've all experienced the rewards and challenges of leaving everything at home to live abroad. We are travelers at heart and are all committed to helping as many people as possible pursue their dreams. We are goal-oriented with a light-hearted sense of humor.Virtual Work and Culture:
The pandemic forced us to accelerate the transition to building a remote culture as we all had to work from home. Still, we have continued to enjoy team fun events and we have focused on building open communication within our team.The Team You Will Join:
ITA has 35 full-time staff members and 35 part-time Instructors living around the US. We have a remote lifestyle with a third of full-time staff in the Chicago area.To learn more about our team and our company, read our VISION STATEMENT and MEET THE STAFF.ABOUT THE POSITIONCourse Information:
Each in-person course is a total of 4 weeks long, Monday through Thursday, with a maximum of 12 TEFL trainees. After every 2 course sessions, there is one week with no classes. There are 11 course sessions scheduled annually. Roles and responsibilities are divided between the morning (theory) and afternoon (practicum) instructors.
We are looking for one instructor to teach the morning portion of the class, Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
The morning instructor is primarily responsible for leading classes on the basic principles of teaching English as a Foreign Language (aka the "theory" instructor). The role requires the instructor to use the materials in our curriculum, including our textbook and major assessments, to train students on concepts from methods of TEFL, lesson planning, receptive/productive skills, and cultural awareness, among others. The Theory Instructor collaborates with the Practicum instructor (afternoon sessions) to ensure trainees have the skills needed to excel as TEFL-certified instructors. Our students:
The majority of our students are from the US but we sometimes have students join the Chicago course during their travels. The age ranges are typically 21-60 with some students fresh out of college but a majority of our students have been out of school for many years, and all expect the finest university-level training available for a new career path. Class sizes are limited to 12 students to provide a teacher-to-student ratio that promotes connection and engagement.Our Curriculum:
Our curriculum is extensive and exceeds the international standards for TEFL/TESOL certification. We are accredited by Training Qualifications United Kingdom (TQUK), an Ofqual-recognized Awarding Organization. The content is comprised of 170 hours of academic work with an additional 10 hours of practicum. Our course outline details the content progression.POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
The mission of this role is to plan for and execute quality instruction to trainees that guide their development as TEFL instructors. You will educate through example using a variety of pedagogical methods in the classroom, assessment techniques, and mentoring. The duties include:
- Deliver quality instruction on the basic principles of teaching English as a Foreign Language that is based on our curriculum and supporting text.
- Provide constructive and timely feedback on trainees' assignments and lesson plans.
- Share outside resources with trainees that you routinely have used in your instructional career to aid students in their learning and assessment submissions.
- Observe peer teaching sessions and provide feedback to trainees on their lesson plans and their execution of them.
- Collaborate with the Practicum instructor to define areas of growth for trainees as well as support the activities planned in the afternoon sessions.
COMPENSATION & HOURSPay:
- MEd, MA TESOL or higher: Our students expect training from university-level educators. Please do not apply without these credentials.
- 1 or more years of overseas teaching experience: This is a minimum. Most instructors have years of experience in various locations abroad which greatly contributes to the support and confidence they can provide students.
- Comfort with technology. ITA will provide you with training, but you will struggle in this position if you are not comfortable with technology. You will primarily use Moodle LMS and Google Suite.
- Willingness to share overseas teaching experience with students: Not every experience is positive, but you really need to have enjoyed living and working outside of the US to succeed in this role.
Approximately $2800 a course - dependent on course dates and enrollments (wage is $35/hr) paid every 2 weeks.Start Date:
Training in November/early December 2023 with the first course starting on January 8, 2024. Benefits:
This is a part-time position and no benefits are provided. TO APPLY:
You must apply for this position through the International TEFL Academy website using the link below. We will not take your phone calls or emails about the position unless we contact you for an initial interview. If you call us we will mark it against you. Your application will require:
- Resume (Word or pdf) - Please include your name in the title of the digital document. Example: Steven Smith Resume and Cover Letter - ITA Online Instructor.
- Cover letter addressing:
- Why do you want to work at ITA?
- Why are you interested in teaching the TEFL Certification course in our Chicago center?
- Countries you've taught abroad in and your experiences there
- Experiences teaching/facilitating teacher training programs
- Please tell us which job site you found us on or if a friend referred you.
Note 1: Our recruiting platform prompts you to "upload your resume" but does not state that you must upload a "cover letter." That is a limitation of the platform. A cover letter is still required. We will not reply to any candidate without a cover letter. Convince us to interview you.
Note 2: We do not accept phone calls about employment. A phone call may weaken your application. We understand your initiative, but we receive many applications for this position and it is a significant process to evaluate each candidate.Then What Happens?
Once your application is submitted, we will reach out to you if you are selected to move forward. So, please check your email frequently. If you are not selected in this process, don't worry, we will keep your resume on file for other potential future positions that could be a good match.
Here at International TEFL Academy, as global citizens, we recognize that diversity, equity, and inclusion are vital to the culture of our organization. International TEFL Academy is an equal-opportunity workplace.