BOARD OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14202
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN RB#23-031b
SUPERVISOR OF MULTILINGUAL/BILINGUAL EDUCATION
DATE: OCTOBER 6, 2023
NOTICE OF POSITION
The Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Tonja Williams, is interested in receiving applications from qualified candidates for the position of:
Supervisor of Multilingual/Bilingual Education
Candidates interested in applying must complete an online application on the district website at www.buffaloschools.org/jobs. Click the "APPLY" button at the bottom of this page to start your application. Once the form is completed, click the "Submit" button.
Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. (Be sure to check your junk and spam mail.) If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
In order to continue the interview process, interviews for this position may be virtual due to the Covid-19 virus.
Candidates must hold a Master's degree and a New York State School District Administrator certification (SDA), New York State School District Leader certification (SDL), New York State School Administrator/Supervisor certification (SAS) or New York State School Building Leader certification (SBL) and one of the following New York State certifications:
Teaching English to Speaker of Other Languages (TESOL), Special Education, or Elementary Education (Bilingual Extension Preferred.)
Candidates must have a minimum of three years combined teaching English to students of other languages or bilingual education. Candidates that speak Spanish preferred. Successful recent leadership experiences in assessing program needs, curriculum development, program implementation, and staff training; or other combinations of New York state certification, training, and experience which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position will be considered. Experience in test and curriculum development and grant writing is desirable. Experience with computers and instructional technology to support teaching and learning, curriculum development, staff training, program, and student accountability is required. Excellent planning, organization, problem-solving, decision making, management, communications (oral and written), and human relations skills are required.
Under the guidance of the Director(s) of Multilingual Education, the Supervisor duties will include, but not limited to:
- Coordinates all Division Professional Development in Bilingual Education, building and district level.
- Facilitates the development of the district and schools' Language Allocation Policies in bilingual classrooms.
- Develops webinars related to effective instructional practices, appropriate use of aides & assistants and other information that needs to be disseminated to stakeholders.
- Coordinates social media for the Division including Division's webpage and Schoology
- Coordinates District's activities to highlight observances celebrated by our top language and cultural groups, for example, "Hispanic Heritage Month."
- Collaborates with the Division of Staff Development to provide training to new teachers, aides, and assistants and cross-curricular opportunities related to language acquisition and meeting the needs of ELLs and dual language learners.
- Attends professional development opportunities on behalf of the Division and turn-keys information to coaches and teachers.
- Provides leadership for curriculum and instructional program planning, development, and implementation of all aspects of the Division of Multilingual Education.
- Collaborates with other administrators as needed.
- Leads delivery of in-service training for Bilingual/ENL teachers; keeps abreast of national and state trends in Bilingual/ENL Education to obtain information for essential program improvements; leads program monitoring and assesses needs based on New York State regulations; helps the Directors of Multilingual Education to coordinate instruction and supervision related to New York State assessments; coordinates co-curricular activities and serves as liaison to outside agencies and performs such other duties as necessary for the successful operation of the department.
- Oversees the work of building and/or district level Bilingual/ENL coaches.
- Oversees, facilitates and plans curriculum committee work.
- Assists Director(s) with the planning of, facilitation and implementation of state testing including Regents & NYSESLAT.
This recruitment bulletin in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator or supervisor. Buffalo Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this recruitment bulletin and related duties at any time without prior notice.
Appointment will be made by the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent following the assessment of training, experience, credentials, evaluation of service, program needs, and personal interview.
SALARY: Per Administrator salary schedule
FUNDING: Pending funding
FINAL DATE FOR FILLING: Until Filed
DR. TONJA WILLIAMS
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
The Buffalo Public School District does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, religious practice, national origin, ethnic group, sex (including sexual harassment and sexual violence), gender identity, sexual orientation (the term "sexual orientation" means heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, or asexuality ), political affiliation, age, marital status, military status, veteran status, disability, weight, domestic violence victim status, arrest or conviction record, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by New York state and/or federal non-discrimination laws in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries regarding the District's non-discrimination policies should be directed to HRCompliance@buffaloschools.org or to: Tami Hollie McGee, Chief of Human Resources 719 City Hall Buffalo, NY 14202 (716) 816-3579.