BOARD OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14202
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN RB#22-535d
DIRECTOR OF MULTILINGUAL/ENL EDUCATION
DATE: OCTOBER 13, 2023
NOTICE OF POSITION
The Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Tonja Williams, is interested in receiving applications from qualified candidates for the position of:
Director of Multilingual/ENL Education
Candidates interested in applying must complete an online application on the district website at www.buffaloschools.org/jobs. Click the "APPLY" button at the bottom of this page to start your application. Once the form is completed, click the "Submit" button.
Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. (Be sure to check your junk and spam mail.) If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
In order to continue the interview process, interviews for this position may be virtual due to the Covid-19 virus.
Be advised if you're currently a school building administrator and you are selected for this position, please note you will not begin your new assignment until the end of the school year.
Candidates must have a Master's degree, and a New York State School District Administrator (SDA), or School District Leader (SDL), by the time of appointment. Candidates must have a combined minimum of five years of certificated teaching and supervisory experience with a minimum of two (2) years at the supervisory level. Candidates with one or more of the following experiences are preferred: (1) hold New York State certification in World Languages, TESOL, and/or Bilingual Education, (2) be able to speak, read, and write one of the District's top ten languages other than English, (3) have prior administrative experience supervising ENL/bilingual teachers, (4) have prior experience working with English language learners/bilingual students in an urban school district with a large racially and ethnically diverse population.
- The Director of Multilingual Education has primary responsibility for program design, implementation and staff development for English as a New Language education program according to CR Part 154 at both the elementary and secondary level.
- Works on the district level and directly in school buildings with ENL and classroom teachers to provide assistance with implementing and improving instruction and programs in stand-alone and integrated ENL.
- Works with school-based staff to ensure scheduling meets CR Part 154 requirements while maximizing staffing.
- Oversees, provides and monitors effective PD opportunities for all teachers, administrators and support staff.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to ENL and content area teachers in best practices and co-teaching strategies.
- Collaborates with district and building administrators and building staff regarding the implementation of research based instructional strategies that are direct, explicit, systematic, and designed to meet the unique needs of English language learners/Multilingual learners.
- Implements parent and community outreach initiatives to increase parent involvement and to increase an awareness of the importance of nurturing home language literacy and cultural values supporting MLLs educational goals.
- Oversees and monitors extended learning opportunities for ELLs including the full day summer Jump Start Program.
- Acts as the Grant Manager in an official capacity to implement and approve Title III expenditures and ensures funds are supporting the supplemental initiatives outlined in the Title III narratives and FS-10.
- Works with IT to oversee the technology and social media aspects of the Division including the website, Schoology, Facebook & Twitter.
- Ensures that all ELLs/MLLs have access to all school curricular and extra-curricular programs and are provided an appropriate education that serves their language needs as per CR Part 154.
- Assists in preparing the proposed budgets for the regular school year and reviews school based budget proposals.
- Coordinates the RFP process, submission of contracts and managing of financial responsibility related to Multilingual Education.
- Oversees the APPR process of teachers and Division of Multilingual Education staff.
- Oversees and coordinates staffing of Instructional and support staff with Human Resources.
- Oversees social and emotional supports for multilingual learners.
- Oversees Division of Multilingual Education staff as assigned.
Reports directly to the Assistant Superintendent of Multilingual Education.
This recruitment bulletin in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator or supervisor. Buffalo Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this recruitment bulletin and related duties at any time without prior notice.
Appointment will be made by the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent following the assessment of training, experience, credentials, evaluation of service, program needs, and personal interview.
SALARY: Per Administrator salary schedule
FUNDING: Pending funding
FINAL DATE FOR FILLING: UNTIL FILED
DR. TONJA WILLIAMS
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
The Buffalo Public School District does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, religious practice, national origin, ethnic group, sex (including sexual harassment and sexual violence), gender identity, sexual orientation (the term "sexual orientation" means heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, or asexuality ), political affiliation, age, marital status, military status, veteran status, disability, weight, domestic violence victim status, arrest or conviction record, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by New York state and/or federal non-discrimination laws in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries regarding the District's non-discrimination policies should be directed to HRCompliance@buffaloschools.org or to: Tami Hollie McGee, Chief of Human Resources 719 City Hall Buffalo, NY 14202 (716) 816-3579.