Discover Your Career at Emory University
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future.We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
Emory University is a leading research university with over $734 million in extramural research funding in 2018. Overall, Emory ranks as the largest employer in the metro Atlanta area, with over37,700 employees, including 3,000 faculty members, and a total student enrollment of approximately 15,400. Emory University is positioned along the Clifton Corridor, which also includes the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Laney Graduate School(LGS)enrolls approximately 2,000 students in close to 50 doctoral and master's degree programs with faculty members from the College of Arts and Sciences and the professional schools of Medicine, Nursing, Public Health, Theology, Business and Law. LGS hasresearch and program collaborations with Georgia Institute of Technology, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and other institutionsandrecruitsstudents from across the US and internationally.
The English Language Support Program(ELSP)offers for-creditspeaking and writingcourses for doctoral and master's degree students who use English as anAdditional Language.
- For the Spring 2024 semester, the ELSP mayneedapart-time instructor to teachanoral communication and/orgraduate writingcourse. Spring semesteris mid-January through the end of April.
- ELSP courses meet once per week in person on the main Emory campus in Atlanta, GA.Course timesare between 9 am and 6 pm.
- 1.5 credit hour courses meet for 75 minutes.
- 2.0 credit hour courses meet for100 minutes.
- Responsibilities include:
- teaching class in person on the predetermined dates,
- teaching according to theestablishedcourse content and learningobjectives, as outlined in the course syllabus(which will be provided)
- grading andprovidingfeedback onstudentassignmentsin a timely manner
- maintaining an organized site on Canvas (Emory's Learning Management software) for students to use throughout the semester
- completing andsubmittingmid-term report andfinal gradereportbyestablisheddeadlines
- Collaboratingwith any instructors who areteaching the same course(s)in a givensemester(if applicable), suchthat course content and learning outcomesremainconsistent across sections
3+years teachingEnglish to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)in an academic settingat an institution of higher education isrequired.Master's in AppliedLinguistics or TESOL andexperience inthe creation of instructional materials preferred.An equivalent combination ofeducationandexperience will be considered.
Emory Supports a Diverse and Inclusive Culture
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322.
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Connect With Us!
Connect with us for general consideration!
Job Number 120046
Job Type Temporary Part-Time
Division Graduate School
Department GRS: English Language Support
Campus Location (For Posting) : City Atlanta
Location : Name North Decatur Bldg
This position may involve the following Health and Safety issues: Not Applicable
Required Documents Cover letter, List of References