The ESOL Teacher provides English, workforce readiness, and cultural integration instruction for multi-level classes refugees and immigrants in the evenings. In addition to instructional hours, time is allocated for preparation and administrative tasks, and professional development. The ESOL Teacher is responsible for the day-to-day class preparation, instruction, assessment, progress, and supervision of the students. The teacher's goal is for each student to achieve progressive acquisition of the English language and adequate basic education skills and knowledge to achieve economic self-sufficiency and to support their integration into the United States. Who are we?
Ascentria Care Alliance is a nonprofit organization that has spent the past 150 years helping people in need. We empower people of all backgrounds to rise together and reach beyond life's challenges by building stronger communities and helping people move forward together. Essential responsibilities
- Develop daily/weekly lesson plans aligned with Ascentria's ESOL, basic education, and workforce preparation curriculum goals and that incorporate fundamental adult learning principles and methodologies.
- Plan, organize, and provide instruction for ESOL adult learners that is consistent and coordinated with the organization's ESOL curriculum, and that helps students reach students learning targets and increases their daily life skills and abilities.
- Develop and deliver lesson plans using a wide range of techniques and strategies to keep lessons engaging and that address all aspects of English language including student's ability to read, write, speak, and listen.
- Design and administer formal and informal assessments to evaluate students' progress.
- Differentiate lessons to meet the needs of the group and individual students simultaneously.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of each student's progress and attendance.
- Provide and assess out of the classroom assignments including regular homework.
- Bachelor's Degree in Education or related field, plus a minimum of one year of teaching experience required.
- Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESL/CELTA/TESOL/TEFL) preferred; Master's degree in TESOL or Education highly preferred.
- Must be confident and enthusiastic about teaching adult learners.
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural/multi-lingual environment.
- Must be well organized, able to multi-task, prioritize, and have a strong attention to detail
- Ability to work as a team member and independently.
- A creative and innovative approach to the delivery of services due to restricted funding sources and rapidly changing political and regulatory requirements in the ESOL/Adult education and refugee resettlement fields.
- Excellent oral and communication skills and ability to handle situations with sensitivity and diplomacy.
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Ascentria we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. Company Benefits
- FSA and dependent care account
- 3 Weeks PTO and 9 Holidays!
- Tuition Assistance
- And many more!
Ascentria Care Alliance celebrates diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal and state employment opportunity laws, qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, or any other legally-protected category. Candidates who identify as BIPOC, multilingual or have lived experience with immigration or human services are encouraged to apply.