The ESL Quality Manager is responsible for completing assigned quality duties to ensure customer, team member, and vendor satisfaction. The ESL Quality Manager does this by providing strategic direction for the implementation and maintenance of quality systems throughout the site. The ESL Quality Manager maintains advanced quality systems related to manufacturing a high-quality product and is responsible for cross-functional communication, hiring, and training for new Quality hires and others for the site. This role ensures implementation of continuous improvement initiatives, conformance to current Good Manufacturing Practices, and compliance to regulations and certifications at the site level while managing complex projects and supporting both Operations and Research and Development. The ESL Quality Manager is the primary Quality contact for the Sr. Leadership team at the manufacturing site. The ESL Quality Manager completes these functions in the support of the manufacture of dairy-related products.
- Responsible for achieving assigned goals in the area of quality, safety, production, performance, and cost.
- Support Operations and Manufacturing Services in assuring company quality standards are met
- Review and trend data to determine product conformance to specifications.
- Establish finished product target weights, verification checks, and conformance to regulatory requirements.
- High level of proficiency pertaining to testing equipment, and other lab equipment, as well as being the SME for Quality procedures and policies for the site.
- Review products and assess eligibility for product release in accordance with company policy
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas and partake in assigned cleaning duties as scheduled
- Conduct investigative research on products or materials
- Review, trend, and implement corrective and preventive actions pertaining to environmental sample testing and analytical lab result reporting.
- Investigate, trend, reply to consumer complaints that are specific to the site.
- Provide leadership for all ESL Quality Assurance team members, including evaluations, team meetings, individual coaching, and conversations, etc.
- Participate as part of the Plant Leadership Team to support initiatives, align on operational objectives, provide leadership team support, and better understand departments outside of QA
- Provide "Point of Contact" support for interactions with regulatory agencies (i.e. NYS Ag & Market)
- Develop Individual Development Plans (IDP's) for QA team members to support their growth and development. Orchestrate/coordinate training for the QA team on new processes, proficiency refresh, etc.
- Maintain and demonstrate a high level of professional attitude and appearance at all times. Be able to work closely with others without disputes.
- Set up documentation and sterile sampling for sample shipments. Utilize proper shipping methods.
- Maintain compliance with S.Q.F. Certification including finalizing procedure and policy for the site
- Support continuous improvement activities
- Applies and implements 5s methodology (housekeeping) in all Quality work areas.
- Troubleshooting, isolating problems, and repairing lab equipment as needed
- Compliant with all legal requirements concerning dairy processing and safety on their assigned shift and reports concerns to their supervisor/lead.
- Works in a safe manner and reports safety concerns promptly to their supervisor/lead and takes corrective actions as necessary to ensure a safe environment.
- Responsible for reporting food safety problems and initiating action and for supporting SQF by maintaining food safety and food quality.
- Covers breaks and lunches and other staffing needs as assigned by their supervisor/lead.
- Ensures work areas are sanitary and strictly adhere to sanitation practices
- Communicates effectively between shifts and other departments
Essential Knowledge, Skills:
- Ability to apply basic to complex mathematical concepts such as adding, counting, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and knowledge of weights and measure, to sufficiently handle job tasks.
- Understand and respond appropriately to basic and complex, employee, vendor, and customer inquiries.
- Read, write and communicate using the English language sufficient to perform job functions (Other preferences will be given for special language skills when there is a business need).
- Knowledge of the company's mission, purpose, goals, and your role in achieving each of them.
- Ability to operate facility equipment as required in assigned area.
- Satisfactorily complete all company training requirements.
- Ability to interpret company documents and literature and UPC/code information.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain NYS licenses on Raw Milk Receiving, Gerber, Charm SL, Phosphates, and DMC testing.
- Minimum of GED or High School diploma is required
- AS/AAS recommended - BS degree preferred in chemistry, biology, food science, Ag-tech, or equivalent
- 2-3 year's direct experience in managing lab operations and staff is highly preferred
- SQF or similar quality systems experience highly preferred
- Versed in Six Sigma, 5S, and Problem solving focusing on Continuous Improvement
- Microsoft Windows and software architecture is required
- Responsible for reporting to work at scheduled times and communicating tardiness and absences with the assigned Supervisor/Manager prior to the occurrence.
- Responsible for reporting to work in a condition to work.
- Responsible for being well-groomed and dressed in a business-and position-appropriate attire at all times including ensuring compliance with GMP dress code standards.
- Comply with performance criteria, standards of conduct as contained in company policy, employment procedures, and responsibilities as described in the company handbook.
- Maintain a safe work environment at all times and immediately report and take appropriate action to correct a safety concern.
- Responsible for completing all assigned tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Requires morning, afternoon, and overnight availability any day of the week based on the assigned shift.
- Requests to be scheduled off for a specific day require advance notification and approval by the Supervisor/Manager.
- Salaried: Generally scheduled for 40-45 hours; more hours may be required based on the needs of the business.
- Normally protected from weather and temperature changes possible exposure to hot cold wet, humid or windy weather conditions does exist.
- May be subject to exposure to ingredients used in the manufacture of food products including allergens
- May be subject to exposure to chemicals involved in the manufacture and sanitation of a food processing facility.
Physical Job Requirements:
- Ability to move throughout all areas of the facility including but not limited to office, production, and warehouse environments. Including the outside perimeter of the building.
- Able to wear all necessary personal protective equipment to perform job functions.
- Stand and/or sit continuously and perform job functions for a full shift with meal break.
- Physically able to stand, bend, stoop, kneel, reach, twist, lift, push, pull, climb, balance, crouch, handle and move items weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance and move objects exceeding 50 pounds with reasonable accommodations.
- Visual acuity corrected to perform job functions.
East Syracuse, NY
The wage range for this role considers the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. At Byrne, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $85,000 to $112,000.