Long-term SubstituteAbout LPS
Lynn is a seaside urban district located on Boston's north shore. The city is known for its contemporary public art, historic architecture, downtown cultural district, and public parks and open spaces, which include the oceanfront Lynn Shore Reservation and Lynn Woods Reservation. Home to an international population, Lynn Public Schools services almost 17,000 students across 18 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, 2 comprehensive high schools, 1 vocational school, and 1 alternative Jr/Sr high school. We are a linguistically-rich community with 68% of our students speaking two or more languages. LPS Vision and Core Values
Drawing upon the strength of our community, our families, our students, and our partners, Lynn Public Schools commits to fulfilling the intellectual, physical, and social-emotional potential of all of our students. We work together so our students learn to thrive, advance, and impact the greater community and the world.
The Lynn Public Schools is committed to our Core Values:
- Shared Responsibility
- Collaborative Relationships
- High Expectations
- Inspiring Life-Long Learning
Lynn Public Schools is dedicated to the goal of strengthening an environment and school culture that honors and celebrates diversity and responds effectively to the social-emotional experiences of every student and family. LPS Strategic Plan QUALIFICATIONS
- Hold a valid license from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in ESL 5-12
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university; Master's Degree preferred.
- SEI Endorsement
- Strong district lens regarding EL, curriculum, and equity
- Knowledge of current education legislation/regulations
- Ability to work effectively with teachers, support staff, and parents and advocate for children in order to effectively problem solve
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills and ability to work with all stakeholders
- Experience in urban district/setting preferred
- Ability to meet the expectations of the Massachusetts Standards and Indicators of Effective Teaching Practice
We encourage you to apply or reach out for more information if you meet some of the qualifications above. The Lynn Public Schools community celebrates that we live in a rapidly changing, increasingly diverse and connected world. We are committed to hiring educators that represent diversity of race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, religion and gender. JOB DETAILS
The Itinerant Secondary ESL Specialist position (6-12) is a full-time teaching position which focuses on the English language development of identified English learners in the Lynn Public Schools. The ESL teacher develops lessons using WIDA standards for various EL proficiency levels focusing on the four domains of language (speaking, reading, writing, and listening). ESL teachers will collaborate with numerous SEI teachers to effectively support social/academic language development of English Learners. ESL teachers should be familiar with WIDA standards, scaffold for English Learners, and use of data to develop and reflect on lessons to adequately support students at various EL levels. Itinerant Secondary ESL teachers are placed in one or more schools depending on EL enrollment. SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Plan and implement standards-based lessons (WIDA) with clear objectives
- Provide required ESL services to identified ELs and submit monthly schedule to English Learner Education (ELE) Department
- Develop and implement differentiated ESL lessons, incorporating research-based instructional practices for different learning styles and various EL proficiency levels.
- Provide appropriate and effective learning experiences for students from a wide range of socio-economic levels and cultural backgrounds.
- Utilize data (ACCESS, formative assessments, etc.) and appropriate data systems to monitor English language development and identify any students who meet exit criteria
- Assist in the administration of the ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 assessment
- Provide a motivating and stimulating, safe and supportive learning environment
- Participate in school-wide and department-wide professional development activities
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, staff and the community
- Use technology to support student learning in and out of the classroom
- Participate in EL Student Study Team meetings
- Other duties as assigned by principal/supervisor
- As negotiated with Lynn School Committee and Lynn Teachers Union.
- 180 days per year
- Teacher Salary Estimator
The City of Lynn offers comprehensive and competitive health and dental benefits; Harvard Pilgrim PPO/HMO, Altus Dental High/Low, and Vision. Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Plan (FSA) as well as Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability are available on a voluntary basis.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment physical, including a drug test, National fingerprint-based Criminal Background Check (NCBC), and Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI).
be completed PRIOR
to the start of employment.Non-Discrimination Policy
It is the policy of the Lynn Public Schools not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, home status or disability in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its program and activities in compliance with Title VI and VII of Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the 1972 Education Amendments to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and M.G.L., Ch.76. Sec.5, M.G.L., Ch. 151B, and M.G.L., Ch.151C.