Access and Opportunity Programs at SUNY Oneonta is searching for an enthusiastic candidate to join our team as the Assistant Director for the Heritage Language Institute (SOHLI). The Assistant Director for SOHLI will provide the academic vision and leadership at SUNY Oneonta to advance the SOHLI program across campus. The Assistant Director is responsible for bringing a national perspective on education on English Language Learners to the SOHLI program, responding to new needs for educational reform, cultivating innovative programs/practices, and setting priorities for strategic development of SOHLI program at SUNY Oneonta.
The Assistant Director for SOHLI, reporting to the Director of Access and Opportunity Programs, is a full-time position with a 12-month obligation. To learn more about the University or the Department, please visit https://suny.oneonta.edu/ or https://suny.oneonta.edu/office-access-and-opportunity-programs.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership in developing, sustaining, and measuring progress for a vision and strategic plan for English Language Learners (ELL) programming at SUNY Oneonta along with sustainability spanning its distinct but incorporated entities.
- Lead and work collaboratively with faculty, department chairs, and other administrators to develop plans to evaluate activities that contribute to the immediate and long-term development of SOHLI programming.
- Represent and promote the position of SOHLI's programming, professional studies and continuing education, and SUNY Oneonta on issues related to education of ELL with local school districts, state agencies, state and national government, national associations and accrediting bodies, other external organizations, and public forums.
- Provide leadership in the development of special projects such as the newly created SOHLI Summer Bridge program that is provided to international students as part of recruitment and other students that might need to attend.
- Create and facilitate opportunities for professional development with other faculty to provide ELL knowledge.
- Ensure fluidity and cohesion between the three levels within the Intensive Program through the development and implementation of updated instructional framework.
- Develop instructional framework for SOHLI courses, as well as syllabi for differentiation between distinct proficiency levels.
- Teach courses for SOHLI based on needs.
- Evaluate and place students according to needs and/or English proficiency across the three levels.
- Gather participant progress through data collection and assessments.
- Project future population based on historical and current enrollment trends.
- Advocate and act as a liaison between stake holders at the University level and community.
Salary: $60,773. Information on SUNY's comprehensive benefits offerings can be found at https://www.suny.edu/benefits.
- Master's Degree English Language Learner (ELL) Specialist, TESOL, ESL, Foreign Language Education or master's in related field with relevant experience.
- 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience working with diverse, international and/or immigrant populations.
- Demonstrated collaboration skills across disciplines, academic units, K-12, higher education institutions, agencies and/or organizations.
- Experience in leadership, record of teaching, research and/or has worked with stakeholders.
- Prior experience with TESL/ELL/ESL/ENL or international students in an academic area.
- Knowledge of best practices in the educating of English Language Learners.
- Advance Certificate in ELL/ESL/ENL or related areas.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) and/or other languages.
- Competence in curriculum development, program assessment in student learning.
- Effective and consistent interpersonal, communication, organizational and conflict-resolution, management skills.
SUNY Oneonta enrolls about 5,500 students who pursue bachelor's or master's degrees or certificates in one of 70-plus academic programs. Known as an exemplary residential campus that values inclusion, service and sustainability, SUNY Oneonta is a nurturing community where students grow intellectually, thrive socially, and live purposefully.
The university is located in the City of Oneonta, nestled in the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains about a four-hour drive from New York City, Boston, and Philadelphia. With a population just shy of 14,000, Oneonta is one of the 20 Most Picturesque Small Towns in America, according to Microsoft News. The natural beauty of the region is breathtaking year-round. Each season offers outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, boating, swimming, and skiing. Employees give SUNY Oneonta high marks for work/life balance, management, and culture. The university's indeed.com rating is 4.4, with one recent review noting that the people are what make SUNY Oneonta so special.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the NYS Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
SUNY Oneonta values a diverse university community. Please visit our website on diversity at: https://suny.oneonta.edu/diversity. Moreover, the University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. "At SUNY Oneonta, we believe that diversity is an asset and a source of strength that energizes our collective growth and innovation." - President Alberto Cardelle.
To apply online go to: http://oneonta.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=169452. Please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (required).
For other employment and regional opportunities, please visit our website at: https://suny.oneonta.edu/about-oneonta/employment.