Jacksonville North Pulaski School District Position Title:
English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher Department:
Curriculum & Instruction Reports To:
Curriculum Director Contract:
2023-2024 School Year (190 days) Closing:
The English as a Second Language (ESL) language teacher will motivate each student to develop competencies, knowledge and skills in comprehending, speaking, reading and writing a foreign language. The foreign language teacher will immerse the students in the culture of the countries where the foreign language is spoken to enhance the student's communication skills in the language.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs those activities listed in the district's classroom teacher job description as appropriate and applicable. Plans, organizes, and provides instruction in English for Speakers of Other Languages program and Arkansas English Language Proficiency Standards. Instruction must be consistent and coordinated with the district's instructional program so that students meet and exceed learning targets and the requirements outlined in the state and federal law.
- Develops and delivers lesson plans utilizing a broad range of appropriate differentiated techniques and strategies addressing all aspects of communication that develop each student's ability to read, write, speak, and listen in content areas at levels that ensure learners meet or exceed learning targets, and allow English learners to meaningfully access the district's instructional program.
- Administers academic and language assessments for the purpose of evaluating student's progress in meeting academic learning targets and progress in language acquisition. Maintains complete and accurate records of student's progress and evidence of growth and progress.
- Provides a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment with high expectations that encourage student responsibility, enhance motivation, clearly communicate classroom routines, and incorporate challenging instructional strategies.
- Facilitates frequent and effective home-school communication by coordinating: conferences; written communication; parent trainings and other meetings/events; and administrative support for childcare, interpreting, translations, etc.
- Attends professional English Language Learner meetings as well as serves on building or district committees, and attends staff meetings as may be requested or as established by school policy.
- Understands and complies with the policies, rules, and regulations regarding the English learners. Advocates for the program needs that are required to meet the learning needs of English learner.
- Instruct students in foreign language skills utilizing the course of study aligned with the Arkansas learning standards and curriculum frameworks.
- Teach aural comprehension, speaking, reading and writing.
- Adhere to the curriculum-pacing guide in order to maximize student learning.
- Develop lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the basic instructional philosophy.
- Provide learning experiences that develop the basic communication skills, utilizing tape recorders and other electronic equipment as appropriate.
- Immerse the students in a vocabulary/communication rich classroom.
- Provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Create a classroom environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and enable each student to achieve the learning objectives.
- Be prepared for classes, develop lesson plans, and provide written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Takes all-necessary and safety precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Maintain accurate and complete records as required by law and District policy.
- Assist the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct.
- Develop reasonable classroom behavior rules and procedures, and maintain order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Establish relationships with colleagues, students, parents and community that reflect recognition of and respect for every individual.
- Participate cooperatively with the appropriate administrator in the evaluation process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Arkansas licensure as ESL Teacher with the appropriate licensure code or equivalent.OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Successful completion of pre-employment background checks. Appropriate personal and professional conduct at all times around students, other staff members and the general public.The Jacksonville North Pulaski School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of the Jacksonville North Pulaski School District not to discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin or disability in its educational programs, activities or employment practices.