Nazarbayev University Center for Preparatory Studies (hereinafter – CPS) provides two programs: Nazarbayev University Foundation Year Program and Nazarbayev University Zero Year of Graduate Programs and is currently seeking qualified teachers to team-teach Leadership—an academic and study skills course that uses leadership topics to prepare and develop students for University study.
CPS operates a Foundation Year Program (NUFYP) which emphasizes academic English, mathematics, and a “Leadership” course to prepare students for Nazarbayev University’s undergraduate schools. The minimum English entry level into NUFYP is an overall IELTS of 6.0; all classes are taught in English.
NUFYP Teaching Fellows teach up to 18 student-contact hours per week (lecture, seminars, office hours) and perform eight hours in working groups (e.g., materials development, assessment creation), and may volunteer working with student clubs, serving on committees, developing professional workshops, etc.
The successful candidate must have the qualifications, experience, character, and skills required to effectively teach in an undergraduate preparatory program. These include:
- Completed Master’s degree in appropriate subject area (e.g., Education, EAP, Leadership—however, note the course goal is building student academic skills through content, not leadership knowledge per se);
- Proficiency at teaching both independently and cooperatively to deliver a unified curriculum;
- The ability to (1) teach high-achieving students, (2) work in a multicultural educational environment, (3) collaborate as a supportive team member, and (4) live and work in Kazakhstan;
- Evidence of a strong work ethic and exemplary professional and personal character;
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- A desire to contribute to Kazakhstani youth and to NU’s core values;
- Experience teaching specific academic skills to EAP students is desired.
Nazarbayev University offers:
- An internationally competitive salary;
- 56 days of paid leave per year;
- Rent-free housing based on family size;
- Relocation allowance;
- International air tickets twice a year, including dependents;
- No-cost medical insurance with global coverage;
- Educational allowance for dependent children.
To Apply click the link and upload (in PDF if possible):
1. Curriculum Vitae: max 4 pages (normal font and spacing) and include (in the 4 pages) your Contact Information for at least two referees and the contact information of your current/most recent supervisor. Note: referees/employer will not be contacted unless you are shortlisted and give permission.
2. Cover Letter (max 1 page).
3. Motivation and Philosophy Statements that includes (1) a paragraph of about 100 words stating your reason(s) for applying, and (2) write a sentence of 50 words or less that describes your teaching philosophy.
Do not upload any other materials to your application at this time. Prior to shortlisting, candidates may be asked to complete an application questionnaire. Candidates offered a contract must provide a background check, certification of degrees, and other such documents.
Review of applications will begin immediately; applications received before February 2024 will be given priority with final interviews planned for late March; the position starts in July/August 2024.
Questions regarding the position can be addressed to the Director through Smart Recruiter. Additional information can be found at the official website of Nazarbayev University www.nu.edu.kz.
Nazarbayev University is an EOE.
Recruitment and selection process
Recruitment and selection at Nazarbayev University include the following process: preliminary selection based on experience and qualifications, assessments (e.g. technical skills/capabilities, aptitude, personality, work samples, in-basket exercises, and informal interviews), and motivation.
Formal interviews form the final stage of the selection process.
They are typically based on organizational values and behaviors and conducted in English.
You are encouraged to share your views and values to identify how they fit into Nazarbayev University core values