Special Instructions to Applicants: All interested applicants must attach a cover letter and a resume in the Supporting Documents section of the application in a PDF format. Please note that the applicant tracking system does not convert attachments in Word format successfully.
The Susanne M. Glasscock School of Continuing Studies (GSCS) amplifies Rice University's academic excellence and outreach through lifelong personal and professional offerings that empower individuals and organizations, foster community, and promote the common good in Houston and beyond.
The ESL Enrollment Coordinator serves as the primary coordinator for the GSCS English as a Second Language (ESL) Program, which includes but is not limited to Intensive English, ESL Communication Skills, and online ESL programs. This position reports to the Director and works closely with the Associate Director.
The coordinator is responsible for the enrollment and re-enrollment processes including registration and maintenance of student records covering immigration, academic, and financial information for the ESL programs. The incumbent actively manages the student lifecycle, from the prospective student's inquiry to completion of the program. Close monitoring of the full student enrollment lifecycle is required.
The program coordinator will have a Designated School Official (DSO) authorization to maintain student records in the Department of Homeland Security tracking system (SEVIS) and advise students on visa processes. (DSO must be either a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States). The program coordinator will liaise with internal and external stakeholders and will have some operational responsibilities including being a part of the emergency management team for the program. The program coordinator will interface with GSCS Operations for ESL program classroom assignments and collaborate with the Foreign Language Program Coordinator in sharing responsibility for organizing and attending student social and cultural activities.
Ideal candidates will have proficiency in and formal study of a foreign language (Spanish preferred) and experience coordinating and providing administrative support in an academic environment. Experience as a Designated School Official (DSO) is desirable but not required.
This is a benefits-eligible, on-campus, front desk position with the expectation of approximately eight evenings per year for evening program session startups or social activities.
Hiring Range: Starting annual salary $40,000, contingent upon qualifications and experience.
- High school diploma
- 5 years experience required
- In lieu of the experience requirement, additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year-for-year basis may be substituted
- Ability to learn new strategies
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Data analysis skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Attention to detail
- Serves as the primary point of contact for prospective and enrolling students in the English as a Second Language (ESL) program portfolio
- Administers the daily operations of the ESL program with general guidance of a faculty member or senior staff member
- Responsible for the enrollment and re-enrollment lifecycle, including registration, maintenance of confidential student records, and other aspects of accounts receivable for the ESL program portfolio
- Provides support for each stage of the student lifecycle and works closely with the Associate Director involving SEVIS
- Provides support for and communicates regularly with students, prospective students and their sponsors, administrative staff and language instructors
- Works with student services and participates in the planning of social and cultural activities
- Provides support to faculty, staff, and students as related to the program
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- As a Designated School Official (DSO), the incumbent will serve as a member of a committee that meets bi-annually with Rice General Counsel, Primary DSO, and other school DSOs across the University.
- Serves as a member of the Houston Forum of International Advisors
- Participates in promoting student social activities by creating blog posts for ESL cultural and social events
- Works collaboratively with others on special projects
- Proficiency in and formal study of a foreign language; Spanish preferred
- Ability to follow program policies and to maintain discretion and confidentiality in areas such as student placement, student advising, and immigration counseling, and program financial and personnel matters
- Experience with program or project coordination
- Experience in customer service
- Experience providing administrative support
- Experience as a Designated School Official (DSO), DSO designation is preferred but not required
Rice University HR | Benefits: https://knowledgecafe.rice.edu/benefits
Rice Mission and Values: Mission and Values | Rice University
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Faculty and staff are expected (but not required) to have completed a full vaccination series for COVID-19 (currently defined as full course COVID-19 Vaccine (typically two shots of a WHO-approved COVID-19 Vaccine or one J&J) and a COVID-19 booster. Rice does not require documentation for COVID 19 vaccination at this time for faculty and staff. More information can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies