ESOL Job DescriptionABOUT UPREP:
We are an all-boys public middle and high school with a variety of academic and sports programs. University Prep also houses the first Career and Technical Education Center of any charter school. The program is located in a separate facility on our campus. University Prep offers students summer employment and full year-internships as part of its college and career focus. Teacher Support
: University Prep has a strong operational team with student managers at each grade level who support student achievement through a disciplinary model that includes students” families. Administration provides all necessary instructional materials and support in a coaching model designed to build teacher confidence and competence. In-house professional development fosters teacher professional growth and is focused on increasing student achievement. Our graduating classes have exceeded a rate of 94% and all of our seniors have been accepted at 2 or 4 year colleges or training programs.Purpose:
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to serve students whose native language is not English. The program focuses specifically on building academic language needed for success in school. ENL Services for English Language Learners involve two main components:
- ENL classes taught by a certified ESOL (English to Speakers of other Languages) teacher where English Language Learners receive instruction in all aspects of language learning (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) to develop the academic language and background knowledge needed to be successful in content area classes.
- Integrated ENL and content area classes where ESOL teachers co-teach with content area teachers in content area classes required for graduation (English, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies).
- Promotes a classroom environment that is culturally diverse, safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction and student learning.
- Works collaboratively with classroom and content teachers to develop lesson plans and instructional materials and transforms lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops, or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping for grading and reporting attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parent(s)/guardian involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and families.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and CEO
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed
- Ability to organize and coordinate work
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parent(s)/guardian
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth and cultural awareness
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
State Certification as an TESOL Teacher; Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.Education:
Bachelor”s degree from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment; and Master”s Degree in related area preferred.Experience:
Experience working with a diverse population of students desired; successful prior ESOL teaching experience a plus.Demands, Hazards:
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.Equipment:
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.BENEFITS:
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life Insurance
- New York State Teacher Retirement System
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Powered by JazzHR