Ast Inst/Inst/Ast Prof Fixed Term - ELC
Back to search results Apply now Job no: 850649
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:College Of Arts And Letters
Department:English Language Center 10004266
Sub Area:FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary:Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Education/Training, Fixed Term Faculty, Full Time (90-100%), Union, Remote-Friendly
Ast Instructor/Instructor/Ast Prof Fixed Term - ELC
The English Language Center (ELC) at Michigan State University is currently establishing a pool of fixed term assistant professors, instructors, and assistant instructors. These positions will be filled per course/per semester, on an as needed basis. Applicants in this pool are reviewed when the department has an immediate need to fill a vacancy.
Duties: responsibilities include teaching in the Intensive English Program (IEP), the English for Academic Purposes program (EAP), and/or special contract programs, attending organizational meetings and meetings related to skills coordination, and proctoring the Michigan State University English Language Test (MSUELT).
Instructors will also be evaluated by Skills Coordinators and/or Teaching Coordinators.
Rank will be determined by, and commensurate with, experience.
Review of applications begins on April 5, 2023.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate - TESOL or closely related field
- For hiring at the Assistant Professor rank a Ph.D. is required.
- For hiring at the Instructor rank a Master's Degree is required.
- For hiring at the Assistant Instructor rank a Bachelor's Degree is required.
- Masters degree in TESOL or closely related field preferred. Those without an M.A. will have extensive English as a Second Language (ESL) teaching experience and experience working with constituents similar to those served by the ELC.
- Excellent English communicative skills
- Experience working with international students.
Doctorate - TESOL or closely related field.
Required Application Materials
- a cover letter.
- current curriculum vitae.
- A 1-page summary of the candidate's philosophy of diversity, equity, and inclusion as it pertains their intellectual leadership in the areas of teaching/curriculum development, research/creative activities, service, outreach, advising, and/or administration. The statement should also include an explanation of related past or planned activities/endeavors as well as how the candidate will advance our goals of inclusive excellence.
- the names and email addresses of 3 potential referees.
Review of applications will begin April 5, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled. Applications must be submitted electronically to the Michigan State University Human Resources websitehttp://careers.msu.edu. Posting number #850649.
For more information, contact Patricia Walters, Chair of the Search Committee at email@example.com.
Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
The College of Arts & Letters recognizes that only an academic and organizational culture, which actively seeks out and strengthens diverse voices and perspectives among its members results in true excellence. We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. The College of Arts & Letters is particularly interested in candidates of all backgrounds who are committed to the principle that intellectual leadership is achieved through open access and pro-active inclusion.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Mar 21, 2023 Eastern Daylight Time