TITLE: Teacher Assistant
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
High school graduate or equivalent. Minimum of 48 semester hours or associate's degree in any discipline. Working knowledge of effective methods of dealing with children. Ability to solve minor problems and follow detailed written and oral instructions. Must have a valid NC Driver's License to qualify.
Applicant Must Upload:
1. Legible copy of college transcripts showing degree earned or at least 48 college level semester credits completed (Prerequisite Courses not counted) in PDF format.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Gives group instruction as prescribed by teacher; provides individualized instruction.
- Demonstrates various instructional activities.
- Checks and corrects students' work while in progress; keeps students on task.
- Praises and reinforces achievement of students.
- Reports student progress to teacher.
- Arranges classroom furnishings and equipment, prepares visual aids and duplicates materials.
- Reorganizes materials at the end of day.
- Serves as proctor during testing; scores students' papers as instructed by teacher; distributes and collects instructional materials.
- Attends workshops.
Report and Records
- Checks and report attendance.
- Enters data in health record, records student behavior and files data according to regulatory requirements.
Monitoring Student Behavior
- Supervises students in the classroom and in other locations.
- Creates and distributes awards for positive behavior.
- Promotes student self-esteem; teaches citizenship, social skills, and respect for others.
- Reconciles minor student conflicts.
- Participates in development of discipline and policy.
- Disciplines misbehavior through approved methods.
- Reports discipline problems to teacher or principal.
- Reports significant change or lack of change in student behavior.
- Serves as team player and role model for other employees in the organization; demonstrates a commitment to continuous quality improvement; supports and exhibits organizational core values of caring, respect, integrity, responsibility, high expectations, being customer driven, and valuing diversity.
Performs other duties and accepts responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be able to obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) when requested, for purposes of driving a school bus.
- Must be able to communicate orally and in writing with parents, staff, and community leaders.
- Must have finger dexterity and be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, stooping, reaching, lifting, pushing, pulling, talking, seeing, hearing, and repetitive motion.
Background check with local and state law enforcement agencies required. The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.