Job Summary:This position is responsible for providing educational leadership through the Waterloo Community School District curriculum and to facilitate learning that challenges and supports all students in an equitable and safe environment and that meets Board Policy 102.0 (Educational Philosophy) and Board and building educational goals. This position delivers the curriculum selected by the district, congruent with the district-adopted curricula scope and sequence, in a manger congruent with district expectations for teaching strategies, approaches and methodologies. All criteria are Iowa Teaching Standards except for those denoted with an asterisk (*) which are Waterloo Community Schools criteria.
- Appropriate degree(s) earned from an accredited college or university
- Iowa Teacher's Certification
- ESL/TESOL Endorsement or the equivalent
- Preferred Elementary and/or additional content area certification
- Teaching ELL in a diverse setting.
- Preferred experience with diverse cultures.
- Dependent on specific open position Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively, cooperatively and respectfully with staff, parents and community members regardless of race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic/national origin, religion, marital status, age, socio-economic status or disability
- Knowledge of processes to address cultural diversity and associated issues related to student performance and instructional methodology
- Demonstrated record of commitment and sensitivity to affirmative action, equal opportunity and human rights
- Demonstrated experience as a self-starter
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to accomplish tasks through the group process
- Ability to recognize sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills
- Promethean Activboard - ability to learn and implement within first year of employment
- Word processing skills
- Spreadsheet skills
- Electronic presentation skills
- Web navigation skills
- E-mail management skills
- Ability to effectively use PDAs (personal digital assistants) for communication and scheduling
- Computer network knowledge applicable to the position
- Knowledge of computer-related storage devices
- Knowledge of educational copyright laws
- Knowledge of computer security expectations
- Videoconferencing skills (ICN)
Supervision of Others:
- Para educators assisting in classroom
- Student teachers as necessary
- Students and families
- All district personnel
- Community members
- Enhances academic performance and support for implementation of the school districts student achievement goals.
- Provides multiple forms of evidence of student learning and growth to students, families and staff.
- Implements strategies supporting students, building and district goals.
b. Uses student performance data as a guide for decision making.
c.Accepts and demonstrates responsibility for creating a classroom culture that supportsthe learning of every student.
d.Creates an environment of mutual respect, rapport and fairness.
e.Participates in and contributes to a school culture that focuses on improved studentlearning.
f.Communicates with students, families, colleagues and communities effectively andaccurately.
- Demonstrates competence in content knowledge appropriate to the teaching position.
- Understands and uses key concepts, underlying themes, relationships and differentperspectives related to the content area.
b. Uses knowledge of student development to make learning experiences in thecontentarea meaningful and accessible for every student.
c. Relates ideas and information within and across content areas.
d. Understands and uses instructional strategies that are appropriate to the content area.
- Plans and prepares for instruction.
- Uses student achievement data, local standards and the district curriculum in planning for instruction.
- Sets and communicates high expectations for social, behavioral and academic success of all students.
- Uses students developmental needs, background and interests in planning for
d. Selects strategies to engage all students in learning.
e. Uses available resources, including technologies, in the development and sequencing of instruction.
- Uses strategies to deliver instruction that meet the multiple learning needs of students.
- Aligns classroom instruction with local standards and district curriculum.
b. Uses research-based instructional strategies that address the full range of cognitivelevels.
c. Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness in adjusting instruction to meet studentneeds.
d. Engages students in varied experiences that meet diverse needs and promote social,emotional and academic growth.
e. Connects students prior knowledge, life experiences and interests in the instructionalprocess.
f. Uses available resources, including technologies, in the delivery of instruction.
- Uses a variety of methods to monitor student learning.
- Aligns classroom assessment with instruction.
b. Communicates assessment criteria and standards to all students and parents.
c. Understands and uses the results of multiple assessments to guide planning andinstruction.
d. Guides students in goal setting and assessing their own learning.
e. Provides substantive, timely and constructive feedback to students and parents.
f. Works with other staff and building and district leadership in analysis of studentprogress.
- Manages the classroom.
- Creates a learning community that encourages positive social interaction, activeengagement and self-regulation for every student.
b. Establishes, communicates, models and maintains standards of responsible studentbehavior.
c. Develops and implements classroom procedures and routines that support highexpectations for learning.
d. Uses instructional time effectively to maximize student achievement.
e. Maintains an environment conducive to learning for students of all abilities withsensitivity and responsibility to cultural diversity.
f. Manages student behavior in accordance with administrative regulations andguidelines, school board policies and legal requirements.
g. Creates a safe and purposeful learning environment.
- Pursues professional growth.
- Demonstrates habits and skills of continuous inquiry and learning.
b. Works collaboratively to improve professional practice and student learning.
c. Applies research, knowledge and skills from professional development opportunities to improve practice.
d. Establishes and implements professional development plans based on the teachersneeds aligned to the Iowa teaching standards and district/building studentachievement goals.
e. Provides an analysis of student learning and growth based on teacher-created tests and authentic measures as well as any standardized or district-wide tests.
Fulfills professional responsibil