LOCATION/DEPT: Assigned School/ESL Department
REPORTS TO: Principal, Director of Federal Programs
FLSA Status: ExemptStart Date: 01/02/2024; Permanent Full Time with Full Benefits10 month, 8 hour per day positionPOSITION SUMMARY:
The English as a Second Language(ESL) Teacher performs a broad range of teaching services or specific learning programs, assisting students to develop skills, attitudes, and knowledge needed as a foundation for learning. The ESL teacher provides specialized instruction for the purposes of developing English proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. The Teacher must develop, select and modify instructional plans and materials to meet the needs of each student's ability. Additionally, the Teacher is responsible for maintaining appropriate records and following the required procedures and practices of Henderson County Public Schools.EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND LICENSING:
- Teacher must hold a valid NC Teaching License in ESL.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an approved education program.
- Master's Degree in English as a Second Language Preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position.
- National Board Certification is a preferred qualification.
- Plan a program of study that meets the needs, interests, and abilities of all students.
- Create a classroom environment that encourages student involvement and enables each student to achieve learning objectives.
- Has an ability to plan, coordinate, and continuously improve instruction for all students.
- Prepare for classes assigned, and show evidences of preparation upon request of supervisor.
- Plan for and utilize instructional methods, resources, and evaluation techniques that motivate and enable each student to achieve learning objectives.
- Monitors student performance and growth.
- Take all necessary and permitted safety precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Establish relationships with parents, colleagues, administrators, and the community to enhance learning opportunities for the students.
- Have availability to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when requested to do so under reasonable circumstances.
- Required to self-assess effectiveness and demonstrate successful application of skills and information acquired to increase effectiveness.
- Attend staff meetings and perform other duties as assigned by the Principal.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.