*This position is 7 hours per day/185-day school year.
*This position is Open Until Filled.
The job of ESL (English as a Second Language) Teacher Assistant is done for the purpose/s of assisting a certificated teacher in the supervision and instruction of individual and/or small groups of students; and providing instructional and clerical support to teacher/s and staff.
• Assists students, individually or in small groups, with lesson assignments (e.g. reading stories, listening to students reading, language, spelling, facilitating activities, colors, number charts, computer learning programs, etc.) for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts and reaching their academic goals and potential.
• Implements under the direction of a ESL classroom teacher, instructional programs and lesson plans for the purpose of improving students' academic success through a defined course of study.
• Maintains students files/records (e.g. adapting instructional materials, checking homework, grading papers, audio visual equipment, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of items and/or providing reliable information.
• Modifies classroom work/homework for the purpose of providing a method to support and/or reinforce classroom objectives.
• Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. classroom, playground, lunch room, library, etc.) for the purpose of enforcing school rules and procedures regarding student behavior and participation and/or providing a safe and positive learning environment.
• Promotes good habits and self-esteem for the purpose of improving the quality of students outcome and encouraging student development in the ESL program.
• Administers a variety of tests (e.g. language tests, IPT, SELP, etc.) for the purpose of processing tests and inputting/recording scores into student files.
• Assists other personnel, as may be required, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
• Attends meetings and in-service presentations for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, non-technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications; preparing and maintaining accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; understand written procedures, write routine documents, and speak clearly; and understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: concepts of grammar and punctuation; stages of child development and learning styles; and age appropriate activities.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities and/or meetings; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with a variety of data; and utilize job-related equipment. In working with others, problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; setting priorities; and working as part of a team.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized routines; providing information and/or advising others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions. There is some opportunity to effect the Organization's services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 50% sitting, 25% walking, and 25% standing. The job is performed under a generally hazard-free environment.
Job related experience is desired.
High School diploma or equivalent.
Continuing Educ. / Training
Certificates & Licenses
Valid Driver's License and Evidence of Insurability
Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance