The mission of the Intensive English Program at St. Mary's University is to promote English as a Second Language (ESL) education in order to support and further the development of international students. Our goal is to enable students to achieve excellence in their future academic and professional goals. In keeping with this mission, our ESL instructors are responsible for proactively engaging with our curriculum in order to support our ESL students in fulfilling their learning outcomes. Teaches Monday through Thursday, between 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.; Workloads may vary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understands the process of second language acquisition.
- Manages classes and learning environments; begins and ends classes on a timely basis.
- Maintains attendance records and submit course grades on time.
- Attends monthly faculty meetings.
- Considers individual student differences to design and support a range of appropriate learning activities.
- Uses a variety of technology and software to deliver effective instruction.
- Designs course assessments to align with student learning objectives.
- Creates a positive classroom atmosphere.
- Completes mandatory performance evaluation measures and Title IX training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree or higher preferred. Preference given to those who hold a Master's degree and/or a Doctorate degree in foreign languages/education/linguistics/TESOL.
- ESL certification (preferably TESOL, CELTA, TEFL). Please note that the IEP will determine whether the TESOL certification is appropriate for our institution.
- Two years of teaching experience at the university level.
- Experience in using the CANVAS learning management system.
- Knowledge of current second-language acquisition trends.
- Ability to be efficient, accurate, and reliable.
- Must clear and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance.
St. Mary's University, as a Catholic Marianist University, fosters the formation of people in faith and educates leaders for the common good through community, integrated liberal arts and professional education, and academic excellence: www.stmarytx.edu/about. St. Mary's is the oldest Catholic university in the Southwest and continues to advocate the Marianist mission. St. Mary's enrolls approximately 3500 students in a diverse university with four schools, more than 40 academic programs including Ph.D. and J.D. programs, and numerous pre-professional programs. The successful candidate is expected to support and contribute to the University's Marianist educational mission.
Application forms can be found at http://stmarytx.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Along with the employment application, please also upload a cover letter and resume. Questions regarding the position can be sent to Sophia Salgado, email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Any offer of employment for this position is contingent upon successful completion of a clear background check.
St. Mary's University is a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages all qualified candidates apply.