Special Education Coach
Teachers at I Dream PCS are called "coaches". A coach facilitates the learning process, instead of directing and doing the thinking for learners. The role of coaches at I Dream is a critical example of our commitment to transform relationships between learners and themselves, the curriculum, and the community.
Salary Range: $55,000 - $75,000
I Dream PCS Mission
I Dream PCS co-designs purposeful, self-directed learning with children and families, so they have voice and choice on the path to discovering and pursuing their dreams.
- You are all about our mission.
When you read the I Dream PCS mission, your eyes light up and you smile on the inside. Our website speaks to you and you know you want to be a part of making this school a reality for children. You can see it. Our mission and vision align with your beliefs and passion.
- You have a growth mindset about yourself and your work.
You are a lifelong learner that is in constant evolution. You know you are good at what you do, but you also know that you always have room to learn. You learn from your mistakes and failures as much as you learn from books and from others. Growing yourself and your expertise comes natural to you. You approach the growth and development of learners and school programs by leveraging strengths and assets rather than focusing on deficits.
- You work with others positively and productively.
You can easily work alone, but you recognize how important and fun it is to be a positive and productive member of a team. You have excellent interpersonal communication skills. People want to work with you.
Teaching & Learning
- Develop and deliver specialized instruction in the classroom during academic periods designed to help learners meet grade-level standards and achieve personal learning goals.
- Provide culturally responsive instruction that values and celebrates the life and culture of every learner.
- Meet weekly with your coaching team to plan and facilitate individualized instruction to meet the academic and socio-emotional needs, as well as the dreams and interests of every learner.
- Plan and implement accommodations and strategies for all learners including learners with disabilities to access grade-level content.
- Provide research-based small group or individual interventions for deserving learners.
- Assess learner progress on Individualized Education Plan (IEP) goals and use the data to plan instruction.
- Demonstrate a solid knowledge of academic content and child development.
- Coach a multi-grade classroom of two grades with a team of classroom and assistant coaches.
- Plan fieldwork and service learning that deepens academic understanding and connects with learners' dreams and interests.
- Co-create classroom management system with learners to build a community of self-directed and collaborative young people.
- Initiate and develop supportive relationships with learners, their families, staff, and community members.
- Communicate regularly with families, conducting at least 3 Partner Visits throughout the school year
- Use formative assessments to adjust daily learning as needed to revise and plan instruction.
- Collaborate with learners, their families, and coaching team to continuously measure and celebrate learner progress toward mastery of standards and goals.
- Complete IEP progress report for each learner with disabilities 4 times per year.
- Degree in Elementary, Early Childhood, Literacy, Special Education or Bilingual Education
- Special Education or ESL/TESOL certification preferred
- 2+ years of teaching experience working with learners with disabilities or English learners in an inclusive setting
- Experience in writing and monitoring Individualized Education Plans
- Experience in conducting Functional Behavior Assessments (FBA) and writing Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP) preferred, not required
All candidates must be committed to meeting the needs of all learners and have experience working in urban communities.
Why Join I Dream PCS?
I Dream PCS will roll up one grade per year until we reach capacity at PK3 - 5th grade. As we enter our second year of operation, we are seeking coaches that will work to actively dismantle hierarchical systems of power that prevent young learners from realizing their full potential in the world. You will collaborate with other lifelong learners and social justice warriors to reimagine school design in a way that includes all voices in the decision-making process. You understand the task in front of us will require a monumental amount of work, but you see the vision and know this is difficult work we must do for our children.
Compensation and Benefits
I Dream PCS offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package to promote self-care and overall wellness, including employer-covered health insurance for employee, dental and vision insurance, free life insurance up to $50,000, 403b retirement including employer match, and included short term disability insurance.
Salary Range- $55,000 - $75,000