About Indy Reads
Our vision is simple: 100% literacy for all.
Located in historic Fountain Square and serving central Indiana, Indy Reads builds the literacy, English language, and job readiness skills to empower adults and families to reach their full potential. We advance our mission through our virtual and in-person Community Classrooms and our community bookstore, which serves as a retail space, community space, and extension of educational programming. This highly regarded, well-established nonprofit organization has nearly 40 years of experience in adult education. Under the direction of new leadership and deeply committed to advancing social equity within all aspects of the organization, Indy Reads is poised for growth.
Our adult learners are at the heart of everything we do. Dedicated staff and volunteers work with native and non-native English speakers to strengthen their literacy and English language skills, earn their High School Equivalency diplomas, and acquire workforce certifications. With literacy and language education, our adult learners redefine their potential for success. They get new and better jobs, help their children with homework, and engage with society in new and deeper ways. Indy Reads advances social equity through education. Position
We take a community literacy approach to teaching adult students. Through an innovative social learning model, instructors are supported by a team of volunteer tutors in each dynamic classroom setting. Reporting to the VP of Community Impact, the part-time virtual ELL Instructor will provide basic, relevant language and literacy instruction through the use of technology and classroom instruction to provide an individualized learning experience. The instructor will oversee student progress, as well as a team of volunteer tutors who will act as instructional aides to provide a well-rounded language and literacy curriculum. The goal of instruction will be to support individual adult ESL/ELL students in making continuous improvements in their reading, writing, speaking, listening, and critical thinking skills in English.
The person in this position could teach one or both
of our open virtual ELL classes via Zoom:
- A weekly morning class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30am-1:30pm
- A weekly evening class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-8:30pm
The following is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. Other duties may be assigned.Creating a Comfortable and Positive Learning Community
- Establish rapport with students
- Promote student self-efficacy and growth mindset
- Evaluate and respond to individual student needs
- Observe confidentiality of students and program information
Lead students in a multi-level classroom (Basic - High-Intermediate/Advanced): Analyze and select diverse texts from traditional print, digital, and online resources that link to multiple ability levels and multicultural perspectives, and connect to students” backgrounds, interests, and English language proficiency levels, for a class of up to 20 students
Relevant, Dynamic Lesson Planning & Instruction
- Design in-depth instruction to improve student's abilities to read and understand varied text, and to spur student interest in more complex reading materials
- Coordinate tutors to maximize differentiation: Work with, support, and assist volunteer tutors in providing engaging small group learning
- Retain students by ensuring instructional content is relevant to individual specific adult lives and interests
- Write lesson plans that include individualized activities for each group/level as well as activities that incorporate the entire class, such as pronunciation exercises, games, etc
- Develop English language instruction that is responsive to the diverse needs of the students, including background, education and ability level
- Scaffold instruction to support student needs, such as: gradually increasing the amount of writing instruction students receive (e.g., resume, cover letter, research essay)
- Use appropriate and varied instructional approaches supported by research for the following areas:
- Comprehension, fluency, critical thinking, motivation, vocabulary, integrated writing, conversational English, phonological awareness, etc
- Use information from the TABE CLAS-E and classroom observations to monitor progress and measure effectiveness of intervention practices and students” responses to instruction
- Communicate student challenges as well as effective strategies to staff
- Training and Meetings: Plan collaboratively with other instructors and Instructional Team Lead to implement high-leverage reading strategies
- Attend quarterly professional development workshops to strengthen professional teaching knowledge and to stay current with the latest research on effective practices
- Use existing technology effectively in the performance of duties
- Perform other work as required
- Effectively manage volunteer tutors in classroom
- ELL background: Minimum two years classroom instruction experience OR ESL teaching certificate: TESOL/TEFL
- Experience creating dynamic lesson plans for levels 1-4
- Experience working with students with learning differences or working with adults preferred
- Ability to speak other languages and experience living abroad a plus
- Must have reliable transportation
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use his/her hands to feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required for this position include close vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. Indy Reads is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
We seek employees from all backgrounds to join our team and encourage them to bring their authentic and best selves to work. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Indy Reads makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume for the Instructional Specialist (ESL/ELL Instructor) position. You can find the listing by going to the “Get Involved” tab on the Indy Reads Website, and by choosing the "Join Our Team” page from the drop-down menu. Applications received by Friday, September 29th, will be given priority consideration.