Join LCCPS! -We are a vibrant community of 815 K1-8 grade students, families and staff. We are proud to serve the diverse communities of Lowell. Our school represents many nations of Central and South America, Central Africa, and SouthEast Asia.
The mission of Lowell Community Charter Public School is to graduate creative, confident and independent thinkers, global citizens and leaders who give back to their community. We will provide a comprehensive education giving students the knowledge, skills and ways of thinking that ensure their success in high school and preparation for the opportunity to go on to college. We expect our students to strive for excellence in academic achievement and personal conduct within a joyful, supportive culture. The diversity within our students, staff, families and community and the many nations from which we come is a source of strength and an opportunity for learning.JOB GOAL:
Effectively teach English as a Second Language including grammar, vocabulary development, phonics, reading comprehension, oral and written communication skills, mathematics, science, and social studiesJOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide appropriate instruction and support in all subject areas as prescribed by the school's academic content standards and the Massachusetts framework for ELLs.
- Primarily focus on English language development with secondary focus on content area standards
- Collaborate with teachers in both pullout and inclusion settings
- Consult with regular education classroom teachers to develop and help the mainstream classroom teacher implement alternate teaching strategies and modifications to work for ELL students
- Instruct students using various teaching methods so as to reach all students.
- Consult and inform instruction by collaborating with the classroom teacher.
- Be aware of all students' linguistic and academic levels
- Be culturally sensitive and also be aware of all students' backgrounds
- Utilize audiovisual aids and other materials to supplement instruction
- Outline and follow language objectives as well as content objectives
- Administer assessments to evaluate students' progress, record results and issue progress reports in accordance with the schedule of mainstream report cards and scheduled progress monitoring
- Maintain discipline in the classroom, both small and full class settings.
- Communicate openly with parents to discuss student progress on a regular basis
- Assist with the testing, diagnosis and placement of those children identified as possibly being Limited English Proficient students
- Work as part of an ELL team to create and refine curricular materials and ELL units based on the WIDA frameworks
- Attend all ELL department meetings
- Create and implement student intervention plans when necessary
- Participate in school-wide and individual professional development
- Attend IEP (individual education plan) and CST (child study team) meetings for ELL students
- Complete other duties as requested
LCCPS is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran or military status. Job Posted by ApplicantPro
- A bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university or college
- Possess a MA teaching certificate in ESL/ELL (preferably to teach K-8)
- Full-time teaching experience in an urban school
- SEI endorsement
- Technology proficiency in Word and Excel
- Preferred bilingual or multilingual (main languages of the school are Spanish, Khmer and Portuguese)