Teaching adult students to gain English language proficiency through integrated reading, writing, speaking, listening and civics education instruction.Position:
Monday through Thursday evening hours at satellite location in Comstock Park; programming runs July through May.ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Instruct students using various teaching methods
- Prepare course objectives and outline for course study following curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school and be able to show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Follow registration guidelines for enrolling students.
- Administer CASAS assessments to evaluate student progress, record and analyze results, and issue reports to inform students of progress.
- Maintain attendance and contact records for students.
- Communicate with students to discuss student progress, barriers to success, and review and update individualized adult learning plans.
- Participate in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops.
- Any other duties assigned by the supervising administrator.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor degree. Valid Michigan Teaching Certificate with an endorsement in English/Language Arts, ESL, Bilingual Education, or related field.LANGUAGE SKILLS
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure
manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees.MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to complete hourly, daily and contractual rates.REASONING ABILITY
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional program; ability to plan and implement lessons based on division and school objectives and the needs and abilities of students to whom assigned. Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students and peers; skill in oral and written communication. Computer skills on either Windows or MAC platform, as well as Chromebooks and mobile devices.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.