POSITION DESCRIPTION Description
The English Language Institute (ELI) at UC San Diego is seeking an innovative and experienced full-time instructor to teach academic English, general English, English for specific purposes, test preparation, teacher training, and cultural courses to pre-college, college, graduate, professional, and tourist student populations. This is a 12-month position, with seven non-working weeks per year with an excellent comprehensive benefits package. The ELI offers 8-week, 4-week, and customized intensive and part-time English language programs at all proficiency levels. Classes are predominantly in-person although instructors may have some hybrid and online teaching opportunities. Full-time instructors are expected to participate in curriculum development, student orientations, placement testing and assessment, CEA accreditation tasks, student activities, and other relevant program administration. Successful candidates will demonstrate strong accomplishments in areas contributing to diversity, equity and inclusion, and a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UC San Diego”s commitment to achieving excellence and diversity. Specific Duties
- Teach 20 hours per week.
- Prepare and execute lesson plans in keeping with the course title and description, course objective, and student learning outcomes of assigned courses.
- Assess student characteristics, needs, interests, and learning styles, and develop new course materials and activities to maximize the effectiveness of instruction.
- Create a classroom environment conducive to learning.
- Revise lessons to include information and topics which are current and relevant for ELI students. Update teaching methodology to reflect current technology and developments in second language teaching.
- Hold conferences with students as needed to address individual needs.
- Evaluate all students in courses assigned during the first few days of the program to determine that students are appropriately placed. Initiate class changes if students are not appropriately placed.
- Assign homework regularly; correct and return it promptly.
- Maintain academic performance and attendance records.
- Mentor new by-agreement/part-time instructors.
- Participate in instructor meetings and committees such as curriculum, assessment, CEA accreditation, student events, orientation, etc.
- Assist with placement testing, orientations, and other relevant administrative tasks at the start and end of each program term.
- Maintain currency in the field through active participation in professional development activities.
: https://extendedstudies.ucsd.edu/international-programs/english-language-institute QUALIFICATIONS Basic qualifications
(Required at Time of Application) Minimum Qualifications
- Master”s degree or higher in TESOL, or Master”s degree in closely related field (e.g. Applied Linguistics) with coursework successfully completed in the following areas: Language teaching methodology, The nature of language (e.g., linguistics), English structure, Second language acquisition, Intercultural communication, and Practicum.
- 2 years of teaching experience in a university Intensive English Program
- Experience in second language assessment plus at least one of the following: curriculum development, test preparation, online teaching, English for specific purposes, content-based instruction, teacher training, program administration, or CEA accreditation
- Working knowledge of instructional technology and education platforms such as Canvas LMS, Microsoft and Google Suites.
- Demonstrated excellent proficiency in English
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS Document requirements
- Demonstrated experience collaborating on course content with other educators and stakeholders
- Resume - Your most recently updated resume showing month/year that all teaching jobs started and ended, and all breaks in teaching. Resume must also show number of teaching hours per week and approximate class sizes at all teaching jobs
- Letter of Interest
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.
- Miscellaneous (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF03500 Help contact:
email@example.com CAMPUS INFORMATION
The University of California, San Diego is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, covered veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is eight weeks after their first date of employment.
The University of California prohibits smoking and tobacco use at all University controlled properties.
The UC San Diego Annual Security & Fire Safety Report is available online at: https://www.police.ucsd.edu/docs/annualclery.pdf. This report provides crime and fire statistics, as well as institutional policy statement & procedures. Contact the UC San Diego Police Department at (858) 534-4361 if you want to obtain paper copies of this report.