Adult and Career EducationHourly Teacher's RateResponsible to Adult and Career Education AdministratorDate Due: Until Position FilledPOSITION: English as a Second Language, Citizenship InstructorLOCATION: Unity Council
, 1900 Fruitvale Ave., Oakland, CA 94606
WORK PERIOD: Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Instruction Thursdays: 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm: Professional Learning Community (PLC
)FOR YEAR: 2023-24 DESCRIPTION:
The English as a Second Language, Citizenship instructor will prepare adult students with the English language skills in preparation to become U.S. citizens, including preparation to pass the USCIS interviews, EL Civics Citizenship Interview CASAS exam, and the EL Civics History and Government for Citizenship CASAS exam.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide instruction in foundational skills to facilitate learning of the citizenship content areas, including reading, writing, listening, speaking, vocabulary, dictation, and being able to locate and use information.
- Differentiate instruction and use varied instructional modalities: individualized, collaborative student groupings, whole class instruction, and blended learning.
- Provide learner-centered, interactive learning activities.
- Document adult learner progress, including CASAS testing, EL Civics Assessment, and program impact data.
- Motivate and support adults in a culturally responsive manner, maintaining class participation of 20 students.
- Complete and submit all required data and accountability documentation in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with community partner, Spanish Speaking Citizens' Foundation.
Must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Possess a valid non-emergency California Teaching credential authorizing instruction in the subject area (community college credential not acceptable.)
- Have at least 3 years' teaching experience, including student skills assessment and differentiated instruction. ESL Citizenship teaching experience preferable.
- Demonstrated knowledge and teaching experience with adult English language learners of different levels of proficiency. Ability to creatively meet the challenges presented by a multi-level ESL class.
- Essential for applicant to be nurturing and skillful in inspiring learner confidence.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently off-site and to problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to be accurate and timely in submitting required documentation to the adult school office.
- Ability to work with community partners, teachers, staff, and the administration in a collaborative, productive, and supportive manner.
The Oakland Unified School District does not discriminate in any program, activity, or in employment on the basis of age, creed, sex, race, ethnic background, marital or veteran status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or religion.Primary Location:
Adult & Career Education Salary Range:
Per Hour Shift Type: