The mission of the International Institute of New England (IINE) is to create opportunities for refugees and immigrants to succeed through resettlement, education, career advancement and pathways to citizenship. One of the oldest and largest human services organizations for New Americans in the region, IINE serves more than 4,000 people each year in Boston and Lowell, Massachusetts, and Manchester, New Hampshire. Our programs include case management, youth and family services, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), employment and skills training, and immigration legal services.
The Substitute ESOL Instructor provides English as a second language and computer instruction to adult learners in the ESOL Program in an as-needed, on-call capacity. The Substitute ESOL Instructor uses lesson plans created by the classroom Instructor and is not required to prepare material. Instructional methods reflect a student-centered learning philosophy. IINE-Manchester classes are offered four days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) from 10 am to 12 pm and from 6 pm to 8 pm.
Position: Substitute ESOL Instructor - Manchester, NH
- Department: Education
- Reports to: Education Manager
- Supervises: N/A
- Status: Non-Exempt, On-call
- Location: Manchester, NH
- Pay: $25/hour
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide classroom instruction that reflects a cohesive approach to listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar.
- Prepare lesson plans and classroom materials utilizing program text books and supportive resources
- Contribute to the on-going curriculum development process. Review and adopt new materials as needed.
- Coordinate instruction with other components/programs within workforce development to ensure that clients have maximum opportunities to improve their communication and job readiness skills, gain employment, and advance towards their career goals.
- Refer student and classroom issues/needs to the Education Program Coordinator
- Perform all other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelors Degree in related field required; Masters Degree in teaching, education, or a relevant field preferred
- TESOL/TEOFL Certification preferred
- Ability to model accurate American English pronunciation and grammar required
- At least one year of adult ESOL teaching experience preferably with immigrant populations; experience with non-literate learners
- Outstanding communication skills including written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point required
- Interest in international, refugee, and asylee issues
- Extremely well organized, detail oriented, flexible, and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Bilingual/bicultural candidates are encouraged to apply.
- This position requires regular evening hours.
- Required office work including exposure to bright, office lighting.
- While working remotely, this position requires reliable internet connection and space free from interruptions.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to demonstrate alphabetic writing skills with a marker, pen, or other handheld
- writing implement.
- Must be able speak and hear verbal English used in the class instruction and student
- In-person teaching may require standing or alternating sitting/standing for stretches up to
- two hours.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to fifteen pounds.
IINE does not require applicants for most positions to show proof of Covid-19. Some federal contracts, however, require IINE staff to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination, and some immigration status adjustments, such as a Green Card, require proof of Covid-19 vaccination as well. Consequently, for some positions, IINE staff may be required to show proof of vaccination, and in others, IINE staff will be supporting clients who are required by law to have proof of vaccination in order to adjust their status in the United States.
US Work Eligibility Notice
This position requires lawful authorization to work in the United States, and IINE is unable to provide visa sponsorship in connection with this