Oregon Connections Academy is a free public online school serving students in grades K-12 throughout Oregon. Connections Academy schools are supported by Connections Education LLC, which is accredited by Cognia, formerly AdvancED. Oregon Connections Academy is authorized by the Prairie City School District to serve students throughout Oregon.
Oregon Connections Academy strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from your home office within Oregon, certified Teachers will virtually manage instructional programs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes their instructional program.
The Secondary English Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Support the instructional program with asynchronous web conferencing sessions and synchronous instruction;
- Complete all grading, create progress reports and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner;
- Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments and coach special projects;
- Develop a general knowledge of the entire program's K-12 curriculum and a very detailed knowledge of the courses for which responsible;
- Review curriculum and devise alternate approaches to presenting lessons to increase student understanding (working directly with students and parents);
- Support students and parents with alternate strategies and provide additional assistance with daily assignments and projects;
- Communicate regularly with parents, students, and curriculum specialists through use of computer and telephone;
- Work collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program, that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed among the teachers;
- Keep student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and logging all student and parent contacts;
- Consult with other teachers, team members and staff learning specialists to develop alternate enrichment activities and modifications to students' programs to increase student understanding;
- Work with Advisory Teachers and School Counselor(s) to ensure students and families are receiving appropriate communications, students are making adequate progress and established goals are being met;
- Work with other teachers to coordinate social activities and relevant field trips for students;
- Manage regional field trips and make efforts to integrate trips into the curriculum;
- Communicate with Parent Community Coordinators to suggest social activities and relevant field trips for students;
- Devise and implement virtual methods of creating and maintaining a "school community";
- Participate in the organization and administration of the State Testing, as directed;
- Participate in student recruiting sessions and other marketing efforts that require teacher representation;
- Attend field trips and other community activities implemented for families; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Highly qualified and certified to teach Secondary English Teacherin Oregon
- Multiple Oregon endorsements strongly preferred
- Oregon ESL/ELL endorsement strongly preferred
- Willing to consider out of state applicants; Oregon residents preferred
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft Office products and Google Suite)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Highly organized and punctual
- Customer focused approach
- High degree of flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
- Team player track record
- Willingness to travel for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
- Ability to work some occasional evening hours, as needed to support some families
Want to know more? Please watch our new On Demand Teacher Information Session (https://www.connectionsacademy.com/careers/livesession) and join us for a Q&A session held every Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. Eastern. We hope to see you there!