Our Mission: Lutheran Community Services Northwest partners with individuals, families and communities for health, justice and hope.
About Us Lutheran Community Services Northwest is a non-profit human services agency that improves lives of people in communities throughout Washington, Oregon and Idaho. We provide a wide variety of services to adults, adolescents, children, families, schools and communities. We are privileged to touch lives of all ages, cultures and faiths.
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for English as a Second Language (ESL) /
English Language Acquisition (ELA) instruction to LEP TANF participants, RCA recipients, and
eligible refugees not on public assistance, to help them gain language proficiency necessary to
obtain and maintain employment and/or integrate into their new communities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Provide services to participants with limited English abilities that fall within ESL Levels 1-6, including a minimum of twelve (12) hours per week of classroom instruction.
• Utilize curriculum that incorporates content and language to prepare participants for the workforce and integration into their communities.
• Determine participants' language level gains based on quarterly testing in all four (4) skill levels: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing.
• Provide Life Skills Training, to prepare participants to meet the demands of everyday life and employment.
• Maintain compliance with all relevant program/department requirements, including and not limited to adhering to all record-keeping and reporting requirements.
• Model and encourage direct, professional communication among staff members and facilitate development of a positive staff support network.
• Demonstrate awareness and sensitivity in the delivery of client services as it relates to the cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of the populations served.
• Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or
Education and/or Experience: Required bachelor's degree with a TESOL/TESL/TEFL certification or three (3) years of experience teaching ESL to adults; or have a combination of credentials and experience that are approved by a college or by the Program Manager.
Credentials: Must be qualified to administer the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) appraisals and testing.
General Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to work well under pressure and work effectively in a multicultural setting, demonstrating excellent organizational skills and interpersonal skills.
Language Skills: Excellent communication skills with the ability to read, write, and speak in English required.
Reasoning Ability: Independent judgment and problem solving abilities.
Clearance: Standard LCSNW criminal clearance, including national sex offender.
The Perks: We offer a full benefits package with options for medical, vision and dental insurance. Employer-paid short & long-term disability, and life insurance. Language and licensure pay incentives. Standard 37.50 hour work week. Staff receive annual increases after one year of employment in their current position. Vacation includes up to 2 weeks in the first year, with an increase up to 3 weeks in the second year (based on hours worked). Up to 2 ½ weeks of Sick leave for you or to take care of your immediate family (based on hours worked). 13 Annual Paid Holidays. A 403(b) Retirement plan, with employer matching contributions after meeting eligibility requirements. Our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is designed to help and support you. Mileage and expense reimbursement is also provided.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest in joining the Lutheran Community Services Northwest team. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
LUTHERAN COMMUNITY SERVICES NORTHWEST IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND COMMITTED TO CULTURAL COMPETENCY.
- Job Family LCS General
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $21.74
- Max Hiring Rate $30.24
- Required Education Bachelor's Degree
- Job Start Date Monday, September 11, 2023
- 3600 Main St, Vancouver, WA 98663, USA