BRIDGEPORT PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Human Resources Department
45 Lyon Terrace, Room 310
Bridgeport, CT 06604
2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR
EL INSTRUCTIONAL SPECIALIST
- Model and monitor instruction to ensure that K-12 ESL/Bilingual teachers are utilizing research-based instructional strategies that include SIOP and Project BE GLAD to accelerate English Language Proficiency and improve student achievement of ELs
- Ensure that program goals, activities, instruction are aligned with current research as well as Federal and State policy/guidelines
- Collaborate with the Director and teachers to plan, implement and evaluate instructional programs.
- Provide meaningful professional development that enhances teacher's understanding of cultural awareness, second language acquisition, application of research-based instructional strategies for ELs, implementation of standards-based instruction, improve student engagement, increase English language and literacy skills, and interpreting data to inform instruction
- Assist in the implementation of department Data Teams by accessing and utilizing assessment data (LASLinks, CSDE/district assessment data) to drive teaching and learning.
- Able to disaggregate, analyze, triangulate and draw conclusions about EL assessment data to better inform staff, administrators and parents regarding student achievement.
- Provide training for parents and administrators to better inform them about the department, Federal and State guidelines/legislation/policy.
- Engage teachers in collaborative and reflective classroom practices about their ELs.
- Provides initial and annual LASLinks assessment to ELs throughout the district
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Proficiency in the integration of technology to support student learning.
- Self-directed, ability to take the initiative, committed to support the goals of the Bilingual department.
- Maintain weekly logs and meeting/Professional Development agendas.
- Bilingual/TESOL certification K-12 (111,305).
- Three years of successful teaching experience in an urban setting working with English Learners.
- Experience in the use of educational technology.
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational, and human relations skills.
- Trained in SIOP, Project BE GLAD and CT English Language Proficiency Standards
- Bilingual (Spanish and/or Portuguese)
Salary will be in accordance to BEA contract salary schedule.
Qualified candidates who wish to apply should access the Bridgeport Public Schools Website:
"The Bridgeport Board of Education is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer."