KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/ .Job DescriptionThe Opportunity
Every member of the Team & Family at KIPP Texas Public Schools plays a critical role in ensuring our students have the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose - college, career and beyond. The ESL Paraprofessional (Title III)
role will help support the academic and linguistic needs of emergent bilingual/ESL students during content-based instruction in STAAR/EOC courses. The ESL Paraprofessional will also have the opportunity to play a significant role connecting with families and facilitating effective learning experiences through collaboration with content-area teachers. The ESL paraprofessional reports to the Dean of Multilingual Education and follows a 10-month calendar. Duties and Essential Job Functions:
QualificationsKnowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Work with students in instructional and classroom activities at the direction of the Dean of Multilingual Education
- Assist with direct academic and language designed instructional activities during whole-group and small-group content instruction
- Providing home language tutorial assistance to individual students and help them prepare assignments in their second language
- Functioning as a liaison between classroom teacher and student.
- Assisting in communication between school and parents.
- Participating in professional development activities.
- Assisting with classroom, district, and state-wide ESL assessments.
Required Education and Experience:
- Experience working with students or adults learning a second language
- Knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing, and mathematics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills ( bilingual in Spanish preferred )
- Highly Qualified Paraprofessionals must have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent and meet one of the following requirements:
- Complete at least two years of study at an institution of higher education (defined as completion of 48 semester hours or equivalent trimester hours) of college coursework or an applicable number of semester hours as defined by the institution of higher education attended, whichever is less;
- Possess an associate's (or higher) degree; or
- Meet a rigorous standard of quality and can demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment-
- The Paraprofessional must also meet the state's Paraprofessional certification exam and requirements. Paraprofessionals whose duties consist solely of parent and family engagement activities or translation services are exempt from the qualification requirement.
Additional InformationCompensation and Benefits
- Travel to monthly, regional meetings is required.
As a full-time KIPP Texas employee you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas' benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices with competitive rates, including medical, dental, and vision options, life insurance, and disability plans.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.